Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA)
For Funding Commencing in 2017
Research Office contact:
The Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Scheme is a separate element of the Discovery Program. The DECRA Scheme provides more focused support for researchers and create more opportunities for early-career researchers in both teaching and research, and research-only positions.
The objectives of the DECRA scheme are to:
- support and advance promising early career researchers;
- promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways;
- focus research effort in the National Research Priority areas to improve research capacity and policy outcomes; and
- enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments.
Researchers who have been awarded a PhD within five years or, awarded a PhD within nine years and commensurate with a period of significant career interruption may be eligible to apply.
For more information visit the DECRA page on the ARC website
Please note: It is strongly recommended that all DECRA applicants subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list for up to date information on this scheme.
Please subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
Visit the DECRA page on the ARC website for more details.
|Eligibility Exemption Requests Open||Wednesday 13 January 2016|
|Eligibility Exemption Requests to Research Office||10:00am AET Monday 25 January 2016|
|Eligibility Exemption Requests to ARC||5:00pm AET Wednesday 27 January 2016|
|ARC opens||Wednesday 3 February 2016|
|UON Online Booking System opens*||9:00am Thursday 4 February 2016|
|Eligibility and Compliance Check Period*||Tuesday 16 February - Tuesday 8 March 2016|
|Strategic Statement due to Research Office||
5:00pm AET Monday 22 February 2016|
(requires PVC's approval for signature)
|Request not to Assess to Research Office||5:00pm AET Friday 4 March 2016|
|Request not to Assess to ARC||5:00pm AET Tuesday 8 March 2016|
|UON Deadline for Final Application||5:00pm AET Tuesday 15 March 2016|
|ARC closes||5:00pm AET Tuesday 22 March 2016|
- Research Services is piloting an online booking process for eligibility and compliance checks on applications to external funding bodies. Individual checks will be done on a rolling basis. The pilot will apply to applications submitted after 6 January 2016. Visit the 'Apply' page for more details.
- Eligibility and Compliance Check period will commence shortly after the Funding Body scheme opens and will end two (2) weeks before the Funding Body closing date. Eligibility and Compliance Check period dates will be available in the NHMRC Scheme Calendar and the ARC Scheme Calendar on the Research Services web pages.
- UON Deadline for final application is one (1) week prior to the Funding Body closing date and requires provision of a final, submission-ready proposal and all associated documentation including a fully signed External Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC).
- Schools and Faculties may have their own internal dates for the purpose of peer review/Head of School and Assistant Dean (Research) approval etc. Please contact your School Executive Officer and Faculty Research & Research Training Officer or Faculty Research Development Manager for further information on School/Faculty internal processes.
Additional documentation for application submission is provided below.
- External Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC)
- Request for Extension to Internal Closing Date (DOC)
- Instructions to Applicants and FAQs
- Eligibility Exemption Request
- Funding Rules
- Draft Funding Agreement
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request Not to Assess
- Classification Codes: FoR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Sample Application Forms
- ARC/NHMRC Grant Rounds Submission Procedures (PDF)
- External Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC)
- ARC DE17 Strategic Statement Template (DOC)
- ARC DE17 Strategic Statement Quick Guide (PDF)
ARC Final Reports
Please note that any outstanding ARC Final Reports now have eligibility implications for current ARC applications. Within the current Funding Rules under 'Eligibility Criteria for the DECRA Candidate' it states:
D7.3.7 At the closing time of the submission of Proposals all obligations regarding previously funded Projects involving the DECRA Candidate must have been fulfilled to the satisfaction of the ARC. Such obligations include the provision of satisfactory Progress and Final Reports.
In this application round, the ARC and assessors will be able to view grants with outstanding reports in Section C10 for the DECRA Candidate. If such grants have had approved extensions and as such the Final Report is not overdue then this should be stated in the report within Section G2.
If you have an outstanding Final Report for any project for which you are a named CI, it is your responsibility to ensure this is submitted to the ARC in adequate time for the ARC approval prior to the DE17 application submission closing date of 22 March 2016.
Support Package for Successful Applicants
- A targeted PhD scholarship
- $5,000 per annum personal research support for the duration of the Fellowship
- Additional School/Faculty/Centre contributions
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement.
Please note that final Strategic Statements ready for DVCR signature must be submitted by your Faculty contact to the Research Office 4 weeks prior to the Research Office's Deadline for Final Application. Strategic Statements will then be signed and returned to applicants to upload into their applications in RMS prior to the UON Deadline for Final Application.
Business and Law
T: (02) 4921 7865
Education and Arts
T: (02) 4921 7929
Engineering and Built Environment
T: (02) 4921 6826
T: (02) 4921 5603
Science and Information Technology
T: (02) 4921 5243
For further information, please email@example.com or phone (02) 4921 7733
RMS 2.0 allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
The RMS Funding Announcement Page contains links to key documents such as:
- Introduction to RMS 2.0 Login
- Submitting a Proposal in RMS 2.0
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS 2.0.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this may affect your eligibility for current ARC applications. Please see the ARC Reporting Requirements webpage.
Access to Successful Applications
Research Services can provide researchers with access to view successful applications where the lead Chief Investigator has provided consent.
Applications must be viewed in hard copy in the Research Services office or by arrangement at HMRI on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How to Arrange to View a Successful Application
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to view successful applications for a specific scheme. Please include preferred date(s), time(s) and location.
Confirmation of the date, time and venue will be provided to you by Research Services staff.
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2017 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2017 (XLS)
- Preparing Research Budgets
- Request for extension to UON Final Application Deadline (DOC)