Industrial Transformation Training Centres
For funding Commencing in 2016
|This scheme is currently closed|
Research Office Contact:
The Industrial Transformation Training Centres is a scheme that will foster close partnerships between university-based researchers and other research end-users to provide innovative Higher Degree by Research (HDR) and postdoctoral training for the end-user focused research industries vital to Australia's future. Over a five-year period the ARC will award funding for up to 50 Training Centres with funding for at least ten (10) Higher Degree by Research candidates and three (3) postdoctoral fellows in each Training Centre.
Over a four to five-year period, the ARC will award funding for at least ten Higher Degree by Research candidates and three postdoctoral fellows in each Training Centre.
The Industrial Transformation Priorities are priority research areas identified by the ARC which will be updated from round to round. The priorities for Industrial Transformation Research Hubs 2015 and Industrial Transformation Training Centres 2016 are:
- Advanced Manufacturing;
- Food and Agribusiness;
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources;
- Mining Equipment, Technology and Services; and
- Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals.
These priorities are consistent with the five high-growth sectors established under the Industry Growth Centres initiative.
The objectives of the Industrial Transformation Training Centres scheme are to:
- foster opportunities for Higher Degree by Research candidates and postdoctoral fellows to pursue industrial training
- drive growth, productivity and competitiveness within key growth sectors; and
- enhance competitive research collaboration between universities and organisations outside the Australian higher education sector
- strengthen the capabilities of industries and other research end-users in identified Industrial Transformation Priority areas.
The ARC will provide a minimum of $650,000 per annum in the first 3 years, $150,000 per annum in the 4th year and no minimum for the 5th year. The maximum amount of funding is $1,000,000 per annum. RHD candidates and postdoctoral fellows funded under the Industrial Transformation Training Centres scheme are required to conduct research for a minimum of 1 year full-time placement within a Partner Organisation over the life of the Project.
There is no requirement for the Partner Organisation(s) to match the funding requested from the ARC and no minimum requirement of Cash Contribution. However, the Proposal must demonstrate that the combined Cash and In-kind Contributions from the Partner Organisations to the Training Centre are sufficient to support the research projects of the Higher Degree by Research candidates and postdoctoral fellows within the Training Centre.
|Industrial Transformation Training Centres scheme is currently closed.|
|Proposals Open||Thursday 10 September 2015|
|Request to Not Assess||5:00pm 25 November 2015 (Research Office due date via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|UON Deadline for Final Application||5:00pm (AET) Thursday 26 November 2015|
|Certification (Written Evidence) due||Thursday 26 November 2015 (email to email@example.com)|
|ARC closes||5:00pm (AET) Thursday, 10 December 2015|
- UON Deadline for Final Application requires provision of final, submission-ready proposals and all associated documentation. As Research Office staff will be conducting critical Final Checks on all proposals received by the Deadline for Final Application, we will be unable to provide applicants who do not meet this deadline with further advice or assistance with their application. Applicants seeking assistance in completing their application after the Internal Closing Date will be referred directly to the ARC Funding Rules and Instructions to Applicants.
- Schools and Faculties may have their own internal dates for the purpose of peer review/Head of School approval etc. Please contact your Research & Research Training Officer or your Faculty Research Development Manager for further information.
- Certification Email Text (CI/PI/PO Written Evidence) (DOC)
- Partner Organisation Letter template (DOC)
- External Grant Application Coversheet (includes ARC/NHMRC) (DOC)
- ARC/NHMRC Application Submission Procedure (PDF)
- Quick Guide - External Application Coversheet process (PDF)
- Request for extension to Internal Closing Date (DOC)
- Definition of medical and dental research
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions
- Funding Agreement
- Funding Rules
- Request not to Assess
- Sample application form
- ITRP Brochure
RMS 2.0 allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
The RMS Funding Announcement Page contains links to key documents such as:
- Introduction to RMS 2.0 Login
- Submitting a Proposal in RMS 2.0
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS 2.0.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this may affect your eligibility for current ARC applications. Please see the ARC Reporting Requirements webpage.
Access to Successful Applications
Research Services can provide researchers with access to view successful applications where the lead Chief Investigator has provided consent.
Applications must be viewed in hard copy in the Research Services office or by arrangement at HMRI on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How to Arrange to View a Successful Application
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to view successful applications for a specific scheme. Please include preferred date(s), time(s) and location.
Confirmation of the date, time and venue will be provided to you by Research Services staff.
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2017 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2017 (XLS)
- Preparing Research Budgets
- Request for extension to UON Final Application Deadline (DOC)