For Funding Commencing in 2016
Research Office contact: Shai Pritchard
The Discovery Projects scheme provides funding for research projects that can be undertaken by individual researchers or research teams. A variety of Fellowships are also offered in conjunction with this scheme.
For more information, please visit the Discovery Projects page on the ARC website.
Please subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
Discovery Projects scheme opens
11 December 2014
Request Not to Assess due to Research Office
Monday 16 February 2015
Request Not to Assess due at ARC
Wednesday 18 February 2015
Written Evidence / Certification
5pm Wednesday 18 February 2015
Internal Closing Date*
5pm Wednesday 18 February 2015*
Wednesday 4 March 2014
- Internal Closing Date requires provision of final, submission-ready proposals and all associated documentation. As Research Office staff will be conducting critical Final Checks on all proposals received by the Internal Closing Date, we will be unable to provide applicants who do not meet this deadline with further advice or assistance with their application after 18 February 2015. Applicants seeking assistance in completing their application after the Internal Closing Date will be referred directly to the ARC Funding Rules and Instructions to Applicants.
- Schools and Faculties may have their own internal dates for the purpose of peer review/Head of School and Assistant Dean (Research) approval etc. Please contact your School Executive Officer and Faculty Research & Research Training Officer or Faculty Research Development Manager for further information on School/Faculty internal processes.
Applications received after the Research Office Internal Closing Date will not be eligible for a University of Newcastle Near Miss Grant, should the scheme be offered in 2016.
Prior to submission of an application, applicants are to ensure they have read all relevant reference material outlined on the Discovery Projects page on the ARC website including:
- Funding Agreement
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request not to assess
- Classification Codes: FoR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Sample Application Forms
- Written Evidence /certification form DP2016 (coming soon)
- ARC DP16 Eligibility and Compliance Review checklist (coming soon)
- ARC DP16 Quick Guide (coming soon)
The Research Office holds copies of successful ARC Discovery Project grant applications. If you would like to make an appointment to view these please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4985 4901.
ARC 2016 Discovery Projects information session
- ARC Discovery Projects (DP16) (coming soon)
Download previous presentations:
- ARC Discovery Projects (DP15)
- Research Office Presentation - ARC Discovery Projects (DP) For Funding Commencing 2014 (PDF 118 KB)
- Prof Brett Ninness, School of Elect Engineering & Computer Science, Presentation- The ARC DP Assessment Process (PDF 585 KB)
For further information regarding the ARC Discovery Projects, please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4921 5353�
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
RMS allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
- RMS 2.0 Information – for assistance requesting an RMS user account refer to 2.4 Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
- RMS 2.0 Login
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for general staff 2015 (XLS 49 KB) (coming soon)
- ARC Salary Costs for academic staff 2015 (XLS 47 KB) (coming soon)