Discovery Indigenous Schemes
For Funding Commencing in 2015
Research Office Primary Contact
Neroli Finlay on Ph: 4921 5353
Please check back to this page or subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list for up to date information.
The Discovery Indigenous scheme provides funding to Eligible Organisations to support research programs led by an Indigenous Australian researcher and build research capacity of higher degree research and early career researchers.
Discovery Indigenous for funding commencing in 2015 includes the new Discovery Indigenous Award (DIA), available to Chief Investigators who are Indigenous Australian researchers.
Discovery Indigenous for funding commencing in 2015 are now closed.
Please subscribe to the ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
|ARC opens||Wednesday 5 February 2014|
|Full Eligibility & Compliance Review applications due to Research Office||5pm Wednesday 26 February 2014|
|Strategic Statements due to Research Office||Wednesday 26 February 2014|
|Request to not assess form due to Research Services||Tuesday 5 March 2014|
|Request to not assess form due to ARC||Wednesday 12 March 2014|
|Internal Closing Date||5pm *Wednesday 12 March 2014|
|Written Evidence/Certification Proforma||Wednesday 12 March 2014|
|ARC closes||Wednesday 26 March 2014|
If you intend to apply for the Discovery Indigenous scheme, please contact the Research Office via email.
*Please note: From Thursday 6 March 2014, the Research Office will be conducting Final Checks on all applications received by our Internal Closing Date. From this date until the ARC deadline, Research Office staff will be significantly limited in their capacity to provide assistance, information and application advice to applicants who do not submit their final applications by the Internal Closing Date. Applicants who do not submit their final application by this our Internal Closing Date will be referred to the Funding Rules, Frequently Asked Questions and Instructions to Applicants found on our ARC DI webpage.
*Please note: Applications received after the Internal Closing Date will not be eligible for a University of Newcastle Near Miss Grant
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions (Not yet available)
- Funding Rules (Not yet available)
- Funding Agreements (Not yet available)
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request not to assess
- Classification Codes: FoR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Sample Application Forms (Not yet available)
- Quick Guide - IN15 process
- Quick Guide - IN15 Strategic Statement
- Written Evidence (certification form) DP2015 (Not yet available)
- ARC DP15 Full Eligibility & Compliance Review checklist (Not yet available)
The Grants Team holds copies of successful ARC Discovery Indigenous grant applications. If you would like to make an appointment to view these please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4921 5353.
For further information regarding the ARC Discovery Projects, please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4921 5353.
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Full Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
As of 2013 the ARC's GAMS system will no longer be available. All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted in RMS.
You can also download the UoN help document 'How to set up a RMS Account and create a Partner Organisation' (DOC 38 KB).
Should you require further assistance using RMS please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 492 15353.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for general staff 2013 (XLS 49 KB)
- ARC Salary Costs for academic staff 2014 (XLS 47 KB)
- Further ARC Information
- Preparing Research Budgets