Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA)
For Funding Commencing in 2014
Please note: DECRA applications for funding commencing in 2015 are expected to open in early February 2014 and close on 2 April 2014. Please check back to this page or subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list for up to date information.
The Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Scheme is a separate element of the Discovery Program. The DECRA Scheme will provide more focused support for researchers and create more opportunities for early-career researchers in both teaching and research, and research-only positions.
Researchers who have been awarded a PhD within five years or, awarded a PhD within eight years and commensurate with a period of significant career interruption may be eligible to apply.
For more information visit the DECRA page on the ARC website.
An ARC DECRA presentation was presented by Natasha Whyte and Professor Lisa Adkins on 1 February 2013.
- Download the Research Office presentation (PDF 86 KB)
- Download Lisa Adkins presentation (PDF 192 KB)
The DECRA scheme for funding commencing in 2014 has now closed.
Past dates are listed below for your information. Please subscribe to the ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
|ARC opens||Monday 11 February 2013|
|Draft applications due to the Research Office||10:00am Tuesday 26 February 2013|
|Strategic Statement due to Research Office||
Monday 4 March 2013 |
(sent from PVC's Office as approved for signature)
|Final applications due to Research Office||9:00am Monday 18 March 2013*|
|Written Evidence/Certification Proforma||Monday 18 March 2013|
|ARC closes||5pm Wednesday 27 March 2013|
* Please note: Applications received after the Research Office final application due date will not be eligible for a University of Newcastle Near Miss Grant.
- Instructions to Applicants
- Funding Rules
- Draft Funding Agreement
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request Not to Assess
- Classification Codes: FoR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Sample Application Forms
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement:
|Business and Law||Kerri Foulds|
T: (02) 4921 2062
|Education and Arts||Catherine Oddie|
T: (02) 4921 7929
|Engineering and Built Environment||Sallyanne Herron|
T: (02) 4921 205
T: (02) 492 15603
|Science and Information Technology||Lina Bozinovksa|
T: (02) 4921 5243
For further information, please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4921 5353
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- Save each Part of the Proposal once more
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Draft application: email the relevant Research Office contact (see above) when application is ready to review
- Final application: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
As of 2013 the ARC's GAMS system will no longer be available. All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted in RMS.
You can also download the UoN help document 'How to set up a RMS Account and create a Partner Organisation' (DOC 38 KB).
Should you require further assistance using RMS please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 492 15353.
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: The ARC used to warrant confidentiality. Now the Funding Rules state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change it is now recommended that the researcher submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for general staff 2013 (XLS 49 KB)
- ARC Salary Costs for academic staff 2013 (XLS 47 KB)
- Further ARC Information
- Preparing Research Budgets