Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA)
For Funding Commencing in 2015
The Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Scheme is a separate element of the Discovery Program. The DECRA Scheme provides more focused support for researchers and create more opportunities for early-career researchers in both teaching and research, and research-only positions.
The objectives of the DECRA scheme are to:
- support and advance promising early career researchers;
- promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways;
- focus research effort in the National Research Priority areas to improve research capacity and policy outcomes; and
- enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments.
Researchers who have been awarded a PhD within five years or, awarded a PhD within eight years and commensurate with a period of significant career interruption may be eligible to apply.
For more information visit the DECRA page on the ARC website
Please note: It is strongly recommended that all DECRA applicants subscribe to the Research Office ARC mailing list for up to date information on this scheme.
|Internal NOI deadline||9am, Tuesday 28 January 2014|
|ARC opens||Monday 3 February 2014|
|Full Eligibility and Compliance Review||Wednesday 5 March 2014|
|Strategic Statement due to Research Office||Wednesday 5
(sent from PVC's Office as approved for signature)
|Internal Closing Date||*Wednesday 19 March 2014|
|Written Evidence/Certification Proforma||Wednesday 19 March 2014|
|ARC closes||Wednesday 2 April 2014|
* Please note: From Thursday 20 March 2014, the Research Office will be conducting Final Checks on all DECRA applications received by our Internal Closing Date. From this date until the ARC deadline, Research Office staff will be significantly limited in their capacity to provide assistance, information and application advice to applicants who do not submit their final applications by the Internal Closing Date. Applicants who do not submit their final application by this our Internal Closing Date will be referred to the ARC Funding Rules, Frequently Asked Questions and Instructions to Applicants
Notification of Intent to Apply (NOI)
From 2013 the University of Newcastle has introduced an NOI requirement for all major ARC and NHMRC funding rounds to ensure applicants are provided with the best possible support in the development of their application and to maximise the University's success in major competitive rounds.
It is a requirement that all applicants intending to submit an ARC DECRA proposal for funding commencing in 2015 first submit an NOI to the Research Office. NOIs will be provided to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), the relevant Faculty Pro Vice-Chancellor and Assistant Dean (Research) and the applicant's Head of School to assist with strategic planning around ARC DECRA applications and to facilitate a peer review process and provide support to applicants in the development of their proposal.
NOIs must be submitted to the Research Office by 9:00am Tuesday 28 January 2014.
Applicants who do not submit an NOI by the advertised date will be required to seek formal approval from the Faculty PVC and Assistant Dean (Research), and their Head of School prior to proceeding with an ARC DECRA proposal.
Note: Organisational cash and in-kind support cannot be assured for applicants who do not submit an NOI by Tuesday 28 January 2014.
- Instructions to Applicants
- Funding Rules
- Draft Funding Agreement
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request Not to Assess
- Classification Codes: FoR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Sample Application Forms
- Application Checklist (Pending)
- Written Evidence/Certification Proforma (Pending)
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement. Please note that final Strategic Statements ready for DVCR signature must be submitted by your Faculty contact to the Research Office 4 weeks prior to the ARC deadline. Strategic Statements will be signed and returned to applicants to upload into their applications in RMS prior to the Internal Closing Date.
|Business and Law||Patrick
T: (02) 4921 7865
|Education and Arts||Catherine
T: (02) 4921 7929
|Engineering and Built Environment||Chanel
T: (02) 4921 2051
T: (02) 4921 5603
|Science and Information Technology||Lina
T: (02) 4921 5243
For further information, please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 4921 5353
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Full Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
As of 2013 the ARC's GAMS system will no longer be available. All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted in RMS.
You can also download the UoN help document 'How to set up a RMS Account and create a Partner Organisation' (DOC 38 KB).
Should you require further assistance using RMS please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 492 15353.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for general staff 2013 (XLS 49 KB)
- ARC Salary Costs for academic staff 2014 (XLS 47 KB)
- Further ARC Information
- Preparing Research Budgets