Research Office contact:
|This scheme is currently closed. It is expected to open in Q1 2016|
The Future Fellowships scheme supports research in areas of critical national importance by giving outstanding researchers incentives to conduct their research in Australia. The aim of Future Fellowships is to attract and retain the best and brightest mid-career researchers.
At present many highly qualified mid-career researchers choose to work overseas to further their careers due to lack of opportunities in Australia. The Future Fellowships scheme addresses this problem and will significantly boost Australia's research and innovation capacity in areas of national importance.
Future Fellowships provides four-year fellowships to outstanding Australian mid-career researchers. In addition, the ARC may award the Administering Organisation up to $50 000 of non-salary funding per annum which may be used for personnel, equipment, travel and field research costs directly related to the Future Fellow's research.
Future Fellowships will encourage proposals from researchers working in areas of national priority. Preference will be given to those researchers who can demonstrate a capacity to build collaboration across industry and/or research institutions and/or with other disciplines.
Although international experience is important for Australian researchers, it is also important they have the opportunity to return home to continue their work.
One call for submission of Future Fellowships proposals is made each year.
For further information, please visit the Future Fellowships page on the ARC website.
Please subscribe to the ARC mailing list to receive up to date information on ARC funding opportunities.
This scheme is currently closed but is expected to open in Q1 2016. Visit the ARC Future Fellowship webpage for more details.
Please review our ARC/NHMRC Grant Rounds Submission Procedures (PDF) for essential information regarding application submission under this scheme.
Eligibility Exemption Requests
The Future Fellowships Funding Rules describe situations in which an Eligibility Exemption Request form should be submitted to the ARC as part of the funding application process. Situations that may require an exemption from the ARC usually relate to eligibility of Future Fellowship candidates.
An Eligibility Exemption Request, including all supporting documentation, must be submitted on the ARC Eligibility Exemption Request Form. This form is available on the ARC website at on the Eligibility Exemption Request page and must be submitted through the Research Office of the intended Administering Organisation via the ARC's Research Management System (RMS) (due date to be announced).
- Funding Rules
- Funding Agreement
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions (includes Eligibility Exemption Requests)
- Sample Application Forms
- Request not to assess
- Classification Codes: FOR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- UON Documents to be released when scheme opens.
Support Package for Successful Applicants
- An ongoing appointment at the completion of the Fellowship, subject to appropriate performance during the Fellowship;
- If the Future Fellow is already an ongoing staff member, contact your School / Faculty /PRC to discuss how the salary, that was previously provided by the Administering Organisation, will be used;
- A targeted PhD scholarship subject to requesting one from the ARC;
- Up to $75,000 justified start-up research funding in the first year of the Fellowship;
- $15,000 per annum personal research support for the duration of the Fellowship;
- Additional School/Faculty/Centre contributions; and
- Priority access to the UON Researcher Advantage Program which includes:
- high quality ongoing professional educational learning opportunities on topics such as Commercialisation, Strategies for Communicating your Research, Project Management;
- access to numerous research related skill development experiences;
- support and direction in finding an suitable mentor on an as needs basis; and
- multi-disciplinary, innovative and enticing networking opportunities.
Strategic Statements Faculty Contacts
Please contact the following person within your Faculty to assist with preparing your Strategic Statement.
Please note that final Strategic Statements ready for DVCR&I signature must be submitted by your Faculty contact to the Research Office 2 weeks prior to the ARC deadline. Strategic Statements will be signed and returned to applicants to upload into their applications in RMS prior to the Internal Closing Date.
|Business and Law||
T: (02) 4921 7865
|Education and Arts||
T: (02) 4921 7929
|Engineering and Built Environment||Jo Midwinter|
T: (02) 4921 6826
|Health and Medicine||
T: (02) 4921 5603
|Science and Information Technology||Jodi McLean
T: (02) 4921 7976
For further information regarding the ARC Future Fellowships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on (02) 4921 7733.
RMS 2.0 allows researchers requesting funding under the ARC National Competitive Grants Program to prepare and submit proposals electronically via the internet.
Each proposal is completed by researchers and consists of an electronic document generated from a combination of data entered directly into the proposal form, and PDF documents attached to the proposal form in RMS 2.0.
Note: The Admin Organisation will be The University of Newcastle
The RMS Funding Announcement Page contains links to key documents such as:
- Introduction to RMS 2.0 Login
- Submitting a Proposal in RMS 2.0
All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted to RMS 2.0.
RMS minimum system requirements
RMS 2.0 is compatible with the latest versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Compatibility with different browsers or older versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not guaranteed.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this may affect your eligibility for current ARC applications. Please see the ARC Reporting Requirements webpage.
Access to Successful Applications
Research Services can provide researchers with access to view successful applications where the lead Chief Investigator has provided consent.
Applications must be viewed in hard copy in the Research Services office or by arrangement at HMRI on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How to Arrange to View a Successful Application
Contact email@example.com to request access to view successful applications for a specific scheme. Please include preferred date(s), time(s) and location.
Confirmation of the date, time and venue will be provided to you by Research Services staff.
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for Professional Staff 2017 (XLS)
- ARC Salary Costs for Academic Staff 2017 (XLS)
- Preparing Research Budgets
- Request for extension to UON Final Application Deadline (DOC)