Centres of Excellence
For funding commencing in 2014
ARC Centres of Excellence are prestigious foci of expertise through which high-quality researchers maintain and develop Australia's international standing in research areas of national priority.
Through ARC Centres of Excellence, a high level of collaboration occurs between universities and other organisations in Australia and overseas.
The round for funding commencing in 2014 includes an initial expression of interest stage opening on 10 April 2013. Applicants in the expression of interest stage will be shortlisted and invited to submit a full application, due to the ARC on 1 August 2013.
For further information, please visit the Centres of Excellence page on the ARC website.
Expressions of Interest
|ARC opens||Wednesday 10 April 2013|
|Draft Application due to Research Office||Wednesday 17 April 2013|
|Final Application due to Research Office||Wednesday 24 April 2013|
|ARC closes||Wednesday 8 May 2013|
|ARC opens||Wednesday 26 June 2013|
|Draft Application due to Research Office||Wednesday 24 July 2013|
|Final Application due to Research Office||Wednesday 31 July 2013|
|ARC closes||Thursday 8 August 2013|
- Funding Rules
- Instructions to Applicants and Frequently Asked Questions
- Draft Funding Agreement
- Definition of Medical & Dental Research
- Request Not to Assess
- Classification Codes: FOR, RFCD, SEO and ANZSIC
- Application Checklist (not yet available)
- Sample Application Forms
- Written Evidence/Certification Proforma (for full application only)
If you have any enquiries regarding the ARC Centres for Excellence Scheme, please contact Elianne Renaud via email or phone on (02) 4921 7308.
Important notes regarding lodgement of ARC applications
- In RMS, save each Part of the Proposal one final time
- Ensure all components of the Proposal are complete and valid
- Full Eligibility and Compliance Review: email the relevant Research Office contact (Neroli.Finlay@newcastle.edu.au) when application is ready to review
- Internal Closing Date: to submit to the Research Office click on 'Submit Proposal to Research Office' located at the bottom of the Proposal Summary Page
- Submit the Written Evidence to the Research Office as detailed above in the Documents section.
As of 2013 the ARC's GAMS system will no longer be available. All new applications as well as final reports will need to be submitted in RMS.
You can also download the UoN help document 'How to set up a RMS Account and create a Partner Organisation' (DOC 38 KB).
Should you require further assistance using RMS please contact Neroli Finlay via email or phone on (02) 492 15353.
If you have a current ARC grant with outstanding reports, this could affect your eligibility for this scheme. Please see the University of Newcastle ARC Reporting page.
- For further information, also see the ARC reporting page
Tools for Completing Your Application
Confidentiality and IP
Please note: In past rounds, the ARC warranted confidentiality. The Funding Rules now state "the ARC gives no undertaking to keep confidential any information provided in the Proposal except where required by law."
Due to this change we recommend that if submitting a research project with potential IP which could be patented/exploited or involves an Industry Partner which requires confidentiality, applicants should insert the following sentence at the start of the Project Description within their application:
"The following project is disclosed to the ARC in confidence for the purpose only of applying for ARC Funding."
Useful Information for preparing your applications
- ARC Salary Costs for general staff 2013 (XLS 49 KB)
- ARC Salary Costs for academic staff 2014 (XLS 47 KB)
- Further ARC Information
- Preparing Research Budgets