Excellence in Research (ERA)
What is ERA?
The Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) initiative is an evaluation of research quality in Universities by the Australian government. It is administered by the Australian Research Council (ARC) and was conducted in 2010 and 2012 and will be repeated in 2015.
The methodology divides research into fields using the ABS FoR Codes at two levels - 157 4 digit FoR codes and 22 2 digit FoR codes.
The ERA assessment covers 6 years of research and is principally judges on the quality of publications.
The Objectives of ERA are to:
- Establish an evaluation framework that gives government, industry, business and the wider community assurance of the excellence of research conducted in Australia's higher education institutions.
- Provide a national stock take of discipline-level areas of research strength and areas where there is opportunity for development in Australia's higher education institutions.
- Identify excellence across the full spectrum of research performance.
- Identify emerging research areas and opportunities for further development.
- Allow for comparisons of Australia's research nationally and internationally for all discipline areas.
ERA assesses research at the discipline level and uses the ABS Field of Research (FoR) Codes at the 4-digit level to categorise research. Data submitted at the 4-digit level will also be rolled up and assessed at the 2-digit level for a broader assessment.
In 2012, the ERA assessment placed the University of Newcastle equal 7th for research and found 90 per cent of our research to be world standard or above.
ERA assessments are conducted by the Australian Government to measure the research performance of Australia's universities. Results are based on a number of factors including review by an expert committee.
Our ERA Performance
Our outstanding ERA results acknowledge UoN's place in the top research universities in the country. Some of our key achievements include:
- Placed equal 7th for research that is 'well above world standard'
- 18 fields of research achieve an ERA rating of '5' or 'well above world standard'
- The only university in Australia to receive a '5' rating for social work research
- One of only two universities to achieve a '5' rating in applied mathematics, biochemistry and cell biology, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering
- Our Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment rated in the top 5 in the country
- 9 research areas receive an ERA rating of '4' or 'above world standard'
- 17 research areas receive an ERA rating of '3' or 'at world standard'
The table below summarises our 2012 ERA Results in descending numerical order.