Induction for animal researchers
The Animal Welfare and Training Unit (AWTU) provides an induction for animal-based researchers who are new to the University of Newcastle.
The induction covers the following topics:
- Legislation governing the use of animals for research or teaching purposes.
- Roles and responsibilities of the Animal Care and the Ethics Committee (ACEC).
- The ethics of animal use.
- Responsibilities of researchers with respect to animal use.
- Planning your project with Animal Services Unit (ASU) staff.
- Steps to obtaining ACEC approval.
- Completion of an application form to the ACEC.
- Recognition of animal wellbeing, pain and distress.
- Alleviation of pain and distress in animals.
- Monitoring of animal welfare in research projects.
- Safety issues associated with the use of animals.
If you require an induction please contact the Animal Welfare and Training Unit.