About Animal Welfare and Training
The Animal Welfare and Training Unit (AWTU) provides professional and technical advice and services to stakeholders on best practice in research animal welfare.
The unit facilitates compliance with relevant legislation and codes by:
- assisting, advising and training animal research and animal services staff,
- monitoring the use of animals in research and
- developing and implementing strategic and operational priorities in the humane and ethical use of animals in research.
The Animal Welfare and Training Unit also has a significant role in contributing veterinary advice to the Animal Services Unit and to animal research staff.
If you have any questions please contact the Animal Welfare and Training Unit.
- University of Newcastle Animal Care and Ethics Committee (ACEC)
- University of Newcastle Animal Services Unit (Login required)
- Animal Ethics Unit Standard operating procedures (Login required)
- NHMRC Guidelines to promote the wellbeing of animals used for scientific purposes: The assessment and alleviation of pain and distress in research animals
- Animal Ethics Infolink