Policies, procedures and guidelines
The Animal Care and Ethics Committee (ACEC) is responsible for the consideration of ethical and welfare aspects as well as the scientific or educational value of the use of animals for research and teaching purposes. Visit the ACEC page for further information.
University Policies Relating to Animal Research
The following procedures are relevant to Researchers carrying out Animal Research. If you have any questions about any of these policies, please contact an Animal Ethics Officer.
- Animal Research Policy
- Responsible Conduct of Research Policy
- Peer Review of Research Proposals Submitted for Ethics Approval Procedure
- Monitoring of Animals Used for Research or Teaching Guidelines (PDF 197 KB)
- Use of S4 and S8 Drugs Policy
- Infection Prevention and Control for Blood Borne Pathogens Guidelines
- Ethical Considerations in animal research (PDF 25 KB)
- Animal Care and Ethics Committee Procedure (PDF 218.07 KB)*
*As of February 2013, the Animal Care and Ethics Committee Procedure has been updated. The above PDF replaces the current ACEC Procedures document as well as the following procedure documents:
- Effective Surveillance and Monitoring of Projects
- Entry of Animals into Approved Protocols
- Responsibilities of Chief Investigators
- Modus Operandi, Communication and Reporting
- Training and Professional Development of ACEC members.