3Rs - Alternatives to Animal Use
The NSW Animal Research legislation encapsulates the principles of alternatives to the use of animals for research and teaching purposes including
- The replacement of animals with other methods
- The reduction in the number of animals used
- The refinement of techniques used to reduce the impact on animals.
Researchers and teachers must consider these principles during the design and conduct of their projects.
The below links provide information for alternatives to the use of animals in research projects.
- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (UK) (NC3Rs) - Provides a focus for the promotion, development and implementation of the 3Rs in animal research and testing.
- Reduction, Replacement, Refinement - Implementing the 3Rs - ACEC guidelines (PDF 38 KB)
- Perception and Measurement of Pain - ACEC Guidelines (PDF 180 KB)
- Recognising pain, suffering and distress in laboratory animals (PDF 1.27 MB)
- Adverse events or unexpected effects during the conduct of a project
Links for alternative databases and search engines
With acknowledgement to the University of Virginia Animal Care and Use Committee
- ALTWEB - Alternatives to Animal Testing on the Web
- Animal Ethics INFOLINK - NSW Department of Primary Industries and Animal Research Review Panel
- AWI - Animal Welfare Institute
- AWIC - Animal Welfare Information Center
- CAAT - The Johns Hopkins Center for Alternative to Animal Testing)
- CRIS - Current Research Information Service
- ECVAM - European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods
- FRAME - Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Education
- ICCVAM - Inter-agency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods
- MEDLINE - PubMed, Grateful Med, NLM
- MGI - Mouse Genome Informatics
- NCA - Netherlands Centre Alternatives to Animal Use
- NORINA - Alternatives in education search engine
- PRIMATELIT - A bibliographic database for primatology
- SCAW - Scientists Center for Animal Welfare
- UCCAA - University of California Center for Animal Alternatives
- WEB OF SCIENCE