PHD OPPORTUNITY: Land systems science, land use planning and governance
Thursday, 27 April 2017
A PhD scholarship opportunity is available for a student to investigate land use planning and governance under the supervision of Professor Richard Bush.
Decisions around land use frame every aspect of our society - from the way we live, to our economies, to the way we interact with the environment.
The International Centre for Balanced Land Use (ICBLU) provides innovative solutions and leadership on land use practices that underpin resilient communities, diverse economies and sustainable environments.
The overarching aims of our centre are to:
- develop methods, tools and approaches to understand land use dynamics from an interconnected systems perspective;
- build cross-sectoral capability through knowledge, technology, education and training to shape land management practices for balanced land use;
- provide leadership on critical land use issues in regional NSW and Australia to inform policy development and strategic planning; and,
- establish a global platform for research and training on land use, linking contributors of knowledge and practitioners across Australia and internationally
The Centre is hosted by the Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources (NIER), one of The University of Newcastle’s flagship institutes, which draws together leading researchers to deliver a multidisciplinary model for transformational research.
We are seeking expressions of interest from highly motivated candidates with exceptional research potential for a PhD position within our Centre.
The candidate may submit a research proposal in one of the following areas:
- Energy transitions
- Land and the Green Economy
- Land, food and health o Land use, social dynamics and societal transformations
- Climate, water and soil
- Future land use scenarios
Scholarship value: $26,282 p.a., indexed in January each year.
Domestic and international students with Honours Class I, Honours Class I equivalent, or Master Degree from a reputable Higher Education Organisation.
Expressions of interest should include a cover letter, project proposal (1-2 pages), and curriculum vitae (CV). If you have any questions about your application, please contact Sarah Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact: Sarah Taylor
Phone: +61 02 4033 9105