University and Commonwealth Government Scholarships
Round 2 applications close 15 September
To allow for greater scholarship opportunities to prospective and current research students, UON will undertake an additional scholarship round in 2016. There are two scholarship rounds open to domestic and international applicants, where scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Applications can be submitted at any time throughout the year. An overview of all scholarships available within both rounds for research degree candidates is available here.
|Closing Date: 15 September 2016|
|Latest Outcome Date: 30 November 2016|
|Latest Commencement Date: 30 June 2017|
|Closing Date: 31 January 2017|
|Latest Outcome Date: 15 April 2017|
|Latest Commencement Date: 30 November 2017|
Other scholarships may become available throughout the year.
Prospective and current research students are eligible to apply for University and Commonwealth Government scholarships, which are awarded during two rounds. They provide a living allowance so you can commit to full-time study.
Scholarships are granted on the basis of academic merit, which includes your undergraduate grade point average and extra research attainments.
Am I eligible for a scholarship?
Eligibility criteria based on Commonwealth Government Scholarship Guidelines and candidates must:
- satisfy the English proficiency requirement (IELTS of at least 6.5)
- have a current offer of admission into a research higher degree.
- have completed at least four years of undergraduate study and have attained Honours Class 1 or equivalent and a high grade point average (GPA)
- be no more than two full-time equivalent years into their PhD (or one year for Masters) at the latest outcome date for the round in which they are applying.
Successful international scholarship candidates usually also have:
- A master degree with strong research component
- International peer reviewed research publication or research experience
- be enrolled full-time (part-time enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances. Part-time scholarships are taxable)
- be enrolled on-campus (off-campus enrolment may be approved in exceptional circumstances)
- scholars may only work a maximum of 8 hours per week (between Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- scholarship offers must be taken up by the latest commencement date for the round in which the scholar has applied.
- Research Scholarship Guidelines
How do I apply?
Your application for admission must include:
- Copies of all academic transcripts
- A research proposal
- Evidence of extra academic attainments e.g. publications
- If required, certified evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirement
Please ensure you attach the following documents to support your scholarship application:
- Copies of research publications, exhibitions or conference papers
- Curriculum Vitae
- Details of previous research experience e.g. research work experience / study
- Any additional documents that may add to your scholarship application e.g. evidence of the award of a University Medal
What happens once I submit my application?
Applications close 15 September for Round 2 2016
Applications close 31 March for Round 1 2016
UON Project Scholarships
Externally funded scholarships
Epilepsy Society of Australia - Travel Scholarship. Due at the Research Office 23 September 2015. Due at the Funding Body 30 September 2015.
Alzheimer's Australia Dementia Research Foundation - Half funded PhD Scholarships. Due at the Research Office 9 October 2015. Due at the Funding Body 16 October 2015.
Grains Research and Development Corporation - Grains Industry Research Scholarship. Due at the Research Office 21 October 2015. Due at the Funding Body 28 October 2015.
Australian Grape and Wine Authority (AGWA) - PhD and Research Masters Scholarships . Due at the Research Office 30 October 2015. Due at the Funding Body 6 November 2015.
Sugar Research Australia - Postgraduate Research Scholarships . Due at the Research Office 23 November 2015. Due at the Funding Body 30 November 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Rotary Club of Blacktown City PhD Scholarship Investigating Chronic Kidney Disease. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - David Henning Memorial Foundation PhD Scholarship Investigating Depression. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Kerry Anderson/Rotary District 9650 PhD Scholarship Investigating Epidermolysis Bullosa. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Terry Orr Memorial PhD Scholarship Investigating Epigenetics. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Rotary Club of Devonport PhD Scholarship Investigating Gastroparesis. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Terry Orr Memorial PhD Scholarship Investigating Genomics and Nutrigenomics and its Effect on Methylation. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Terry Orr Memorial Foundation PhD Scholarship Investigating Medical Applications of Graphene. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Rotary Clubs of Kiama & Gerringong PhD Scholarship Investigating Melanoma. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Rotary Club of Cronulla PhD Scholarship Investigating Motor Neurone disease. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
Australian Rotary Health - Rotary District 9650 PhD Scholarship Investigating Parkinson's Disease. Due at the funding body 11 December 2015.
NSW Fisheries Scientific Committee Student Research Grants. Due at the funding body 12 February 2016.
The University of Newcastle is a member of Hobsons. Its aim is to assist students wishing to pursue postgraduate studies (either within Australia or internationally) gain access to current information regarding funding opportunities through various scholarship programs run through universities, charitable foundations, government and private institutions.