At UON we offer an extensive range of scholarships to research higher degree candidates that not only reward academic excellence, but allow students from many backgrounds to study at our world-class university.
Historically over 70% of eligible domestic applicants receive a scholarship. Currently 90% of international students hold a scholarship from UoN or a sponsor.
There is one main scholarship round each year where scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Other scholarships may become available throughout the year. Click here to see the currently available scholarships.
What does the scholarship offer?
- A living allowance of $25, 392 per annum
- Most international scholarships also cover tuition fees
The Scholarship may include other benefits such as:
- Thesis allowance
- Relocation allowance (if required) to the value of an economy airfare
Masters by Research scholarships are for two years and PhD scholarships are for three years. If you are already enrolled in your research higher degree, that time will be deducted from the tenure.
A Student Services and Amenities fee is applicable to all students. This money is used to improve student services offered by the University. The scholarship does not cover this fee.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
For domestic students:
- Applications for candidature and scholarship are on the same form: Domestic Application Form
- Full information on Research Higher Degrees is contained in the: Prospectus for domestic students
For international students:
- Full information on Research Higher Degrees is contained in the: International prospectus
- Applications for candidature and scholarship are on the same form: International application form
- If the scholarship you are applying for does not cover tuition fees you will need to pay the fees as listed here: International fees
What to include in your application:
You must include:
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts
- A research proposal
- Evidence of extra academic attainments eg publications
- If required, certified evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirement
Please note, incomplete applications will not be considered.
What else do I need to know?
International applicants - 4pm, 31 August each year
Domestic applicants - 4pm, 31 October each year
Applications received after the closing date cannot be considered for scholarships.
Applications will be accepted up until 4pm on the closing date, by
Mail: Office of Graduate Studies
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308, Australia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Fax: 61 2 4921 6908
Originals of applications, transcripts etc. submitted by email or fax must be also be posted to the University as soon as possible.
Applicants must provide evidence of meeting the English language proficiency level by the closing date.
If you are a domestic applicant currently enrolled in an honours program, your scholarship ranking score will be calculated assuming Honours Class One and any scholarship offer will be conditional upon attaining Honours Class One. If a candidate is later awarded Honours Class Two, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn.
The main eligibility criteria include:
- An offer of admission for candidature
- Honours Class One or equivalent - an example of equivalency is a research masters degree. Equivalence may be determined by the Head of School in consultation with the Assistant Dean Research Training
- Enrolling full time – part time enrolment is available in exceptional circumstances where the candidate has heavy carer requirements such as young children or an invalid parent or where the candidate has an illness that prevents them from studying full time. Part time enrolment will not be approved for scholarship holders where the reason for part time enrolment is work related. Part time scholarships are taxable.
- For current domestic students – applicants cannot have been enrolled for more than 2 full time equivalent semesters at the end of 2013 for a Master by Research (unless upgrading) or more than 4 full time equivalent semesters at the end of 2013 for a PhD
- For current enrolled international students – applicants cannot be considered again if they were assessed for scholarship in a previous round
- Applicants must have provided evidence of meeting the English language proficiency level by the closing date
Already enrolled in a RHD?
Required documents for scholarship only applications
- Copies of research publications, exhibitions or conference papers
- Curriculum Vitae
- Details of previous research experience eg research work experience / study
- Any additional documents that may add to your scholarship application eg evidence of the award of a University Medal.
- For a guide to scholarship assessment click here.
What happens next?
- Applications will be assessed and ranked according to merit
- Attendance at an interview is not normally required
- Scholarship outcomes will be known in December each year
T: + 61 2 4921 7486