- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UoN
- Graduate Research
Institutes and centres
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Chemical Biology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Gender, Health and Ageing
- Geotechnical and Materials Modelling
- Health Behaviour
- Organic Electronics
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Centre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- Cancer treatment
- Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research in Energy and Resources
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
Science and IT Research
- Advanced Chemistry
- Applied Informatics Research
- Communication and Media Research
- Environmental Biology and Biotechnology
- Environmental and Climate Change
- Environmental Water Science
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Human Experimental and Applied Dynamics
- Marine Natural Products and Chemical Ecology
- Medical Physics
- Metabolic Research
- Nutrition, Food and Health
- Surface and Nanoscience
- Sustainable Use of Coasts and Catchments
- Tectonics and Earth Resources
- Natural History Illustration
- Researcher resources
Tectonics and Earth Resources
In broadest terms, our research examines the lithospheric processes that form the physical environment in which we live. This research is achieved within a plate tectonic framework that focuses on the formation and dispersal of continents.
Within this framework, we aim to identify specific tectonic settings which enable us to understand growth of the Australian continent.
We have a specific research focus on:
- magma generation and granite emplacement;
- relation of magmatism to metamorphism and crustal deformation;
- physical processes and consequences of volcanism and sedimentation;
- physical and chemical controls on the formation of natural resources, including metals, petroleum and coal.
The University of Newcastle (UON) has maintained its impressive five-star r...
Future University of Newcastle (UON) students will have the opportunity to ...
Lilly Serna talks to local high school girls about the importance of mathem...
Don't miss out academic staff - get involved and become a member of Academi...
Students facing difficult circumstances are set to benefit from a partnersh...
Semester 2, 2014The Sociology and Anthropology Seminar Series, hosted by th...
You are invited to a free public lecture by Professor Peter Hempenstall:&nb...
You are invited to a free public lecture: Religion and Civil Society: ...
The Australian Linguistic Society is the national organization for linguist...