- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UON
- Research Degrees
Institutes and centres
- Newcastle Innovation
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Chemical Biology and Clinical Pharmacology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Digestive Health and Neurogastroenterology
- Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Brain and Mental Health Research
- Cardiovascular Health
- Cancer Research, Innovation and Translation
- Generational Health and Ageing
- Grow Up Well
- Health Behaviour
- Healthy Lungs
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Stroke and Brain Injury
- Advanced Fluids and Interfaces
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Frontier Energy Technologies & Utilisation
- Organic Electronics
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Training Centre for Food and Beverage Supply Chain Optimisation
- Research Hub for Advanced Technologies for Australian Iron Ore
- Centre of Excellence in Severe Asthma
- Centre of Research Excellence (CRE) for Venom and Antivenom
- Cancer treatment
- Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment
- Invasive Animals CRC
- Young and Well CRC
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Centre for 21st Century Humanities
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Environmental Remediation (GCER)
- Excellence for Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Secure and Reliable Communications
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research and Regional Futures
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Teachers and Teaching
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
Science and IT Research
- Advanced Chemistry
- Applied Informatics Research
- Cognitive Psychology
- Communication and Media Research
- Environmental Biology and Biotechnology
- Environmental and Climate Change
- Environmental Water Science
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Marine Natural Products and Chemical Ecology
- Medical Physics
- Metabolic Research
- Natural History Illustration
- Nutrition, Food and Health
- Sensory, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
- Surface and Nanoscience
- Sustainable Use of Coasts and Catchments
- Tectonics and Earth Resources
Marine Natural Products and Chemical Ecology
Marine Natural Products Chemistry is the study of the structure and chemistry of compounds produced by marine plants and animals such as algae and sponges.
Our interest lies in two main areas:
- Finding and identifying compounds that have unique physical and chemical properties.
- Using the methods of natural products chemistry to delve into the chemical ecology of marine systems
These studies are usually performed in collaboration with marine biologists at the University of New South Wales, the University of Wollongong and the Central Coast campus of the University of Newcastle.
We are also interested in the discovery of new pharmaceuticals from natural sources and the identification and quantification of organic compounds implicated in environmental processes.
Three University Of Newcastle teams will successfully test their research a...
The school for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Universit...
A team of researchers at the University of Newcastle (UON) have drawn a lin...
Four remarkable University of Newcastle academic staff have received nation...
A University of Newcastle (UON) animation student has been hand-picked from...
The Centre of Excellence in Severe Asthma is hosting Professor Helen Reddel...
The University of Newcastle's Alumni Awards recognise and celebrate in...
This workshop will introduce humanities students, graduates and researchers...
The Applied Informatics Research (AIR) Group at the University of Newcastle...
This public seminar hosted by the University of Newcastle Priority Research...