- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UoN
- Graduate Research
Institutes and centres
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Chemical Biology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Gender, Health and Ageing
- Geotechnical and Materials Modelling
- Health Behaviour
- Organic Electronics
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Centre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- Research Hub for Advanced Technologies for Australian Iron Ore
- Cancer treatment
- Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- NSW Energy Innovation Knowledge Hub
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research in Energy and Resources
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
Science and IT Research
- Advanced Chemistry
- Applied Informatics Research
- Communication and Media Research
- Environmental Biology and Biotechnology
- Environmental and Climate Change
- Environmental Water Science
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Cognitive Psychology
- Marine Natural Products and Chemical Ecology
- Medical Physics
- Metabolic Research
- Nutrition, Food and Health
- Surface and Nanoscience
- Sustainable Use of Coasts and Catchments
- Tectonics and Earth Resources
- Natural History Illustration
- Researcher resources
Clinical and Health Psychology
The Clinical and Health Psychology Research Group is concerned with the application of psychological science and practice to the prevention and treatment of both physical and mental ill-health and employs research primarily at the strategic and applied levels.
At the strategic level, research enquires into factors disposing people to develop and maintain ill-health and poor coping while, at the applied level, research focuses on the effectiveness of strategies derived from strategic research for the promotion of healthy behaviour and the treatment of disorders.
Ill health is associated with varying degrees of distress, disability and impoverishment. Hence its prevention, cure or amelioration is a high priority throughout the world.
Psychologists have developed many effective strategies for prevention and treatment, and thus have become vital members of multidisciplinary clinical and research teams in general practice, mental health, and medicine.
At the regional level, the research of the Clinical and Health group will help to galvanise local service providers while, through publications and conference presentations, it will contribute to the health of Australians and to the improvement of clinical outcomes internationally.
Some of the research interests of the group include:
- Health behaviour change; Interventions to reduce alcohol, smoking and other drug use
- Behavioural analysis of behavioural problems; psychological adjustment to chronic pain and physical disability
- Reproductive health psychology, Eustress and coping; Men's health
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy for the prevention or amelioration of psychotic disorders; Cognitive theories of psychotic symptoms
- Anxiety disorders particularly Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Celebrate Open Access Week: Submit your peer-reviewed article to win an iP...
Five PhD scholarships are available in the ARC Training Centre for Food and...
A PhD or research masters opportunity exists focusing on using game technol...
A PhD or research masters opportunity exists focusing on using physiologica...
The Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI) Summer School is an e...
The Multiple worlds in a preschool: Children's place-making in a globalisin...
The Hunter early childhood professional community, academics and pre-servic...
As part of the History@Newcastle seminar series, you are invited to a free ...
Effective Twitter use can increase exposure of researchers and their w...
You are invited to attend a free public lecture at the Ourimbah campus by S...