- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UoN
- Research Degrees
Institutes and centres
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Chemical Biology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Frontier Energy Technologies & Utilisation
- Gender, Health and Ageing
- Geotechnical and Materials Modelling
- Health Behaviour
- Organic Electronics
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Centre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- Research Hub for Advanced Technologies for Australian Iron Ore
- Cancer treatment
- Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- NSW Energy Innovation Knowledge Hub
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research in Energy and Resources
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
- Science and IT Research
- Researcher resources
- Celebrating 50 years of research at UON
Professional Issues and Acute Care
Researchers involved in Professional Issues and Acute Care are focused on making a difference in the delivery of health services and for health professionals in the clinical environment, often using a multidisciplinary approach.
Lead: Assoc Prof Ashley Kable
We have well-developed relationships with Public Health researchers in the Faculty of Health and Hunter New England Health. These relationships provide the basis for development of innovative projects in acute care settings and issues in the professions
Expertise in this area includes quantitative and qualitative methodology, intervention studies, patient and workforce surveys, and focus groups and expert panels for the purpose of validating study instruments. Research topics have included:
- Adverse events in surgical admissions
- Using statistical modeling to identify predictors for adverse events
- Patient surveys of post discharge complications and delivery of health services
- Patient and health care worker safety
- Designing/conducting/evaluating interventions to reduce adverse events in health care
Many of our researchers have extensive clinical backgrounds in Acute Care including Intensive Care, Perioperative, Medical and Surgical nursing.
Completed projects include a study in partnership with researchers in the School of Health Sciences and the NSW Nurses' Association: The Needlestick and Sharps Injuries Survey of NSW Nurses. This study was funded by a Workcover NSW Assist Applied Research Grant. The survey of 7,500 nurses in NSW, was about sharps related injury and follow up of these incidents in the workplace.
Research Higher Degree Topics
- Human Patient Simulation (HPS) Manikins and Information Communication Technology (ICT): Use and Quality Indicators in Australian Schools of Nursing
- Patient Perspectives on Managing Fluid Gain Between Haemodialysis Sessions
- Development, Implementation and Evaluation of a Breastfeeding Protocol
- An Enquiry into the Assessment and Management of Targeted Violence Using a Threat Assessment Process
- Effect of Exercise Intervention on Physical Fitness, Depression and Self-Efficacy of Nursing Students
- How do nurse's knowledge of ageing and attitudes towards older persons influence clinical practice and therapeutic interactions in Emergency Department settings
- Post Operative Clinical Outcomes for Patients Undergoing Major Orthopeadic Surgery Following Venothromboembolism (VTE) Prophalaxis
- The Experience of Registered Nurses Who Mentor Undergraduate Nursing Students
- The VENT Study: Violence in the Emergency Department and Triage
A scholarship opportunity is available for a PhD student to study Inflammat...
Innovation in health and medical professional education and challenges in c...
Two University of Newcastle (UON) research leaders are among the distinguis...
The University of Newcastle kicked off the beginning of a year of celebrati...
Having succumbed to the Academics team last year, the students are out for ...
NOW OPEN: '50 X 50 SECONDS for 50 YEARS' Smartphone Video CompetitionWe are...
Lost Images from Australia's First Conflict - The Fall of German New ...
This public seminar hosted by the University of Newcastle Priority Researc...
Thomas Maschmeyer, who received his PhD from UON in 1994, will present "Fro...
Stone chips to silicon chips: Australia's Indigenous digital divideIn our e...
Laureate Professor Foster's research focuses on understanding the molecular and cellular basis of asthma, allergy, respiratory disorders,...