- Global leadership in research
- World-class innovation
- A research career at UoN
- Graduate Research
Institutes and centres
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources
- Advanced Particle Processing and Transport
- Asthma and Respiratory Diseases
- Bioinformatics, Biomarker Discovery and Information-Based Medicine
- Chemical Biology
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control
- Computer Assisted Research Mathematics and its Applications
- Gender, Health and Ageing
- Geotechnical and Materials Modelling
- Health Behaviour
- Organic Electronics
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Reproductive Science
- Translational Neuroscience and Mental Health
- Centre of Excellence for Geotechnical Science and Engineering
- Centre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- Research Hub for Advanced Technologies for Australian Iron Ore
- Cancer treatment
- Integrated Engineering Asset Management
- Australia-China Research Centre for Crop Improvement
- Clinical Nutrition Research Centre
- Balanced Land Use
- Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies
- Hunter Creative Industries and Technology
- Equity in Higher Education
- Family Action Centre (FAC)
- Frontier Energy Technologies
- Frontier Geoscience (IFG)
- Full Employment and Equity
- Health Professional Education
- History of Violence
- Infrastructure Performance and Reliability
- Intelligent Electricity Networks
- Interdisciplinary Built Environment Research
- Ironmaking Materials Research
- Mass and Thermal Transport in Engineering Materials
- Multiphase Processes
- NSW Energy Innovation Knowledge Hub
- Optimal Planning and Operations
- Plant Science
- Purai - Global Indigenous and Diaspora Research
- Resources Health and Safety
- Rural and Remote Mental Health
- Signal Processing Microelectronics
- Social Research in Energy and Resources
- Space Physics
- Special Education and Disability Studies
- Study of Research Training and Impact - SORTI
- Tom Farrell Institute for the Environment
- Umulliko Indigenous Higher Education Centre
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Water, Climate and Land-use
- Business and Law Research
- Education and Arts Research
- Engineering and Built Environment Research
- Health and Medicine Research
- Science and IT Research
- Researcher resources
Professional Issues and Acute Care
Researchers involved in Professional Issues and Acute Care are focused on making a difference in the delivery of health services and for health professionals in the clinical environment, often using a multidisciplinary approach.
Lead: Assoc Prof Ashley Kable
We have well-developed relationships with Public Health researchers in the Faculty of Health and Hunter New England Health. These relationships provide the basis for development of innovative projects in acute care settings and issues in the professions
Expertise in this area includes quantitative and qualitative methodology, intervention studies, patient and workforce surveys, and focus groups and expert panels for the purpose of validating study instruments. Research topics have included:
- Adverse events in surgical admissions
- Using statistical modeling to identify predictors for adverse events
- Patient surveys of post discharge complications and delivery of health services
- Patient and health care worker safety
- Designing/conducting/evaluating interventions to reduce adverse events in health care
Many of our researchers have extensive clinical backgrounds in Acute Care including Intensive Care, Perioperative, Medical and Surgical nursing.
Completed projects include a study in partnership with researchers in the School of Health Sciences and the NSW Nurses' Association: The Needlestick and Sharps Injuries Survey of NSW Nurses. This study was funded by a Workcover NSW Assist Applied Research Grant. The survey of 7,500 nurses in NSW, was about sharps related injury and follow up of these incidents in the workplace.
Research Higher Degree Topics
- Human Patient Simulation (HPS) Manikins and Information Communication Technology (ICT): Use and Quality Indicators in Australian Schools of Nursing
- Patient Perspectives on Managing Fluid Gain Between Haemodialysis Sessions
- Development, Implementation and Evaluation of a Breastfeeding Protocol
- An Enquiry into the Assessment and Management of Targeted Violence Using a Threat Assessment Process
- Effect of Exercise Intervention on Physical Fitness, Depression and Self-Efficacy of Nursing Students
- How do nurse's knowledge of ageing and attitudes towards older persons influence clinical practice and therapeutic interactions in Emergency Department settings
- Post Operative Clinical Outcomes for Patients Undergoing Major Orthopeadic Surgery Following Venothromboembolism (VTE) Prophalaxis
- The Experience of Registered Nurses Who Mentor Undergraduate Nursing Students
- The VENT Study: Violence in the Emergency Department and Triage
UON academics have featured prominently in the 2014 Scopus Young Researcher...
One of Australia's youngest kidney transplant recipients will join hundreds...
A University of Newcastle research team is aiming to determine the influenc...
University of Newcastle (UON) graduate Dr Alison Thorburn, who is traversin...
UON's exciting new residential development on our Callaghan campus is neari...
The University of Newcastle is proud to present its new professors through ...
SummaryWith the rapid advancement of communication, control, signal process...
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research and Innovation Cluste...
Submit an abstract for a Special issue of Gender and History Volume 28...
You are invited to a free public talk on the history of murder by one ...
Laureate Professor Foster's research focuses on understanding the molecular and cellular basis of asthma, allergy, respiratory disorders,...