The Priority Research Centre (PRC) for Frontier Energy Technologies & Utilisation conducts cutting edge research on emerging energy technologies, with particular focus on the abatement of greenhouse gases and clean and sustainable energy production.
Hosted by the Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources (NIER) at the University of Newcastle, the Centre provides a fresh, streamlined approach in clean energy research and industrial application. The Centre brings together leading researchers including experimentalists, theoreticians, technologists, modellers and process developers to drive ideas from bench-scale or theoretical beginnings through to commercialisation.
Fostering engagement between industry, government agencies and researchers, the Centre provides new market opportunities in the growing field of clean and sustainable energy production. Working actively with industry to improve application and performance, the Centre aims to gain greater understanding of scientific principles and offer insights into efficiency and productivity aspects of clean energy technologies.
The PRC for Frontier Energy Technologies and Utilisation is recognised for:
- Excellence in fundamental and applied research for large-scale reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the energy and resources sectors, including:
- Producing novel energy solutions for process industries, the power generation and electricity distribution industries at both domestic and international levels
- Research in the minimisation of fugitive methane and other GHG emissions in the coal mining sector
- Research results toward development of new and innovative abatement and/or energy technology platforms in the energy and resources sectors
- Commercialisation of these technologies in collaboration with industry and government