The Centre for Intelligent Electricity Networks (CIEN) is an innovative partnership between NIER and Ausgrid focused on exploring intelligent energy distribution initiatives with the aim of developing technology solutions to meet the challenges of building a more intelligent energy future.
The main objectives for CIEN's research collaboration include the development of:
- New intelligent network technology and innovative ways to address the future energy supply problems facing industry and the community;
- Close cooperation between the University and industry to ensure that Australia is at the forefront of the development of intelligent electricity networks;
- Opportunities for Ausgrid staff to be trained and also train students; and
- Facilities to undertake research into intelligent electricity networks that drive global best practice.
The outcomes of research carried out by CIEN in smart grid technologies have the ability to help to:
- Produce higher efficiency, lower capital costs technologies that enable energy demand management
- Provide the capacity to integrate new energy sources and loads such as renewable energy and electric vehicles
- Build high performance telecommunications capabilities within Australia's electrical infrastructure
Directed by Prof Brett Ninness, CIEN is focused on exploring intelligent energy distribution initiatives with the aim of developing technology solutions to meet the challenges of building a more intelligent energy future.
CIEN is well positioned to establish a leading internationally important research centre that will benefit Ausgrid, the Australian power industry and ultimately electricity users for decades ahead.