Newcastle is set to become a hub for choral singing with the University of Newcastle launching three new choirs in 2009 and holding auditions for existing choirs, including the award-winning Chamber Choir.
The Children's African Choir, the Callaghan Choir, and the Seniors Choir will join the already established Conservatorium Children's Choir and the University of Newcastle Chamber Choir.
Choral singing in Newcastle was propelled into the national spotlight this year following the success of the University of Newcastle Chamber Choir taking out the Seven Network's competition - Battle Of The Choirs.
Conductor of the University of Newcastle Chamber Choir, Dr Philip Matthias, said the win had sparked Newcastle's enthusiasm for choral singing with people from musical and non-musical backgrounds wanting to get involved.
"Choral singing is demanding, but enormously rewarding. It is an opportunity to foster musical talent and develop vocal techniques."
Since winning Battle Of The Choirs, the Choir has participated in a number of high profile projects including performing on the recently released Myer Christmas CD and singing at the upcoming Carols in the Domain in Sydney.
Dr Matthias said that choirs fostered a great sense of community and were instrumental in building supportive social networks.
"Our goal is to create a number of choirs involving people from a range of backgrounds and community groups."
- The University of Newcastle Chamber Choir consists of University students, staff and community members. For people aged 18 years and over.
- The Conservatorium Children's Choir endeavours to foster excellence in musicianship and nurture young voices. For children aged 7 - 12 years.
New for 2009
- Children's African Choir will focus on African music and is for people aged 6 - 16 years.
- Callaghan Choir will be based on the Newcastle campus (at Callaghan) and is set to be one of the University's biggest choirs. For people aged 18 years and over.
- Seniors Choir will provide a fun and social environment while exploring a variety of musical styles.
Auditions for all choirs will be conducted at the University's Conservatorium of Music on Saturday 13 December from 1pm - 5pm, Monday 15 December from 10am - 6pm and Tuesday 16 December from 10am - 6pm.
For more information or to book an audition time, contact Gabrielle Jack.