Changes to the UoN web site
During 2013 the University of Newcastle will carry out major improvements to its web site, both behind the scenes and in the 'look and feel' of web pages. The main aim of this year-long project has been to develop a web site that meets the needs of our key external audiences.
Some of the new features
- A new site structure and design that improves the visitor experience
- Tools that make it easier for visitors to find what they are looking for eg. "Find a Researcher"
- Design that responds to different sized screens, providing the most relevant functions for the different devices
- New ways to share stories about the achievements of our staff, students, faculties and research institutes and centres
- A web content management system that makes publishing easier and ensures our web site is more accessible
- Better visibility for events on campus and UoN news
- More consistent branding across the web site
Due to its size, the project is being rolled out in phases. Visitors to www.newcastle.edu.au will begin to see these changes from April onwards, starting with a fresh new home page design.
How it will work
As the roll out progresses, visitors will move between the old and the new look pages via a system of 'behind the scenes' automatic page redirects.
While our aim is to make this transition a seamless experience, we do expect the occasional bump along the way.
You can help
While we appreciate your patience and understanding we encourage you to tell us about your experiences. This will help us to make our site even better for you and other users in the future.
What to expect
From April 2013, visitors will see a fresh new home page, research pages and staff profiles. Visitors using mobile devices (tablets or smart phones) will see how the new design and functionality responds to different size screens.
From then, sections will be updated to the new design as follows:
From June: Community & Alumni; Industry & Business; About UoN; Working at UoN; Library
From October: Future students; International; Faculties
From December: Current students; Staff
Improvements to the University's online presence will not stop at the end of 2013. Using this major project as a launch-pad, we will continue to build our online presence to ensure that it represents the University and our achievements appropriately and engages our key audiences well.