Changes to the UoN web site
In 2013, we are carrying out major improvements across all aspects of the University of Newcastle web site. A fresh new look, improved navigation, updated content and new functions are all aimed at improving the experience of our visitors.
The first round of new and improved web pages will include the homepage and new Research; Industry; Community & Alumni and About UoN sections. Staff and researcher profiles also have a great new look and all members of staff will have their own short URL.
Other improvements and features
- A new site structure and design that improves the visitor experience
- Design that responds to different sized screens and devices
- Better visibility for events and UoN news
- Tools that make it easier for visitors to find what they are looking for eg. "Find a Researcher"
- New ways to share stories about the achievements of staff, students, faculties, research institutes and centres
- A web content management system that makes publishing easier and ensures our web site is more accessible
- A consistent UoN brand across the web site
How it will work
Due to its size, the web site redevelopment project is being rolled out in phases. Visitors to www.newcastle.edu.au will see the first changes in June and from this point, will move between the old and new pages via a system of 'behind the scenes' automatic page redirects.
While our aim is to make this transition a seamless experience, we do expect the occasional bump along the way and you can help us improve the experience by telling us about your experiences.
From June: A new homepage; updated Research and Innovation; Industry; Community & Alumni; About UoN; Working at UoN sections; new staff and researcher profiles; mobile responsive design.
From October: Updated Future students and International sections and Faculties
From December: New sections for Current students and Staff
Improvements to the University's online presence will not stop at the end of 2013. Using this major project as a launch-pad, we will continue to build our online presence to ensure that it represents the University and our achievements appropriately and engages our key audiences well, now and in the future.