Benefits and costs
What are the sponsor benefits?
An Industry Scholarship enables your organisation to be forward thinking and a leader in social responsibility by supporting the education of young professionals.
- It is a cost effective and streamlined pathway to assisting your recruitment needs.
- You can utilise the program as part of your broader workforce planning.
- Your staff may develop additional leadership and mentoring skills.
- It will generate positive attention and create exposure and networking opportunities for your company
- A student will bring new perspectives and fresh ideas into your work environment.
- You can provide a student with an invaluable and unforgettable lifelong learning experience.
What are the costs?
The costs to participate in the Industry Scholarships program are negotiated before the commencement of the program.
- The actual cost to engage with and support an industry student will vary.
- The student is not an employee of your organisation so there are no employment. associated on-costs such as leave loading or superannuation.
- The University of Newcastle provides the student with insurance whilst on placement.
What kind of projects do students participate in?
Projects a student can participate in vary depending on your company's needs and the outcomes will depend on the area that they are placed. Under the guidance of a supervisor, students can partake in anything from simple to complex projects within a team environment. A student may stay in one department for the full duration of their placement period or they may rotate through different departments to maximise the breadth of their experience.
Do students expect a job at the completion of their scholarship?
No. Participating students are advised that completing an Industry Scholarship does not guarantee a job. However, you may choose to offer employment to a student; and if it is mutually agreed; you may have found your next enthusiastic employee.