Frequently asked questions about our on-campus accommodation

UON Student Living


If you're new to living on-campus, information can be something of an overload. Read through some of our frequently asked questions and answers for help.

  • Can anyone apply to live on campus at UON Student Living?

To be eligible to apply you must have applied to become a full or part-time student or be already enrolled at the University of Newcastle. You must be aged 18 or turning 18 in the calendar year in which you will live on campus. 

  • Should I apply to UON Student Living if I have not received an offer to study at the University of Newcastle?

Yes, if possible. Demand for on-campus accommodation is high so we encourage applications to be lodged as soon as possible.  This would mean, prior to you receiving your University offer. All fees/payments except for the processing fee are refundable on presentation of supporting documentation of not gaining acceptance into the University.

  • Can I apply to live on-campus for my entire university degree?

No. Applications to live on-campus are made on an annual basis. 

  • How do I choose the residence that will suit me best?

It is recommended that you think carefully about how many people you want to live with, how much cooking you would like to do and what facilities you desire. It may also be beneficial to talk to past and current residents. Read our Where Can I Live? pages for more information.

  • Can I visit the UON Student Living facilities before making my application?

Yes. You can contact the UON Student Living office to book an accommodation tour subject to timing and availability of the room.

  • Are there any male only or female only accommodation areas?

Yes, UON Student Living offers single gender areas for those interested in living only with others of the same gender. The single gender areas are subject to availability

  • Are there any quieter living arrangements?

Yes, we offer Lifestyle Areas, which are suited for those with an appreciation for a quieter living environment and minimal alcohol, while still enjoying UON Student Living activities. The Lifestyle area is subject to availability.

  • Are there any academically focused areas?

Yes, the Honour, Postgraduate and RHD areas are suited to those with a heavier academic workload, who appreciate living in a mature, quieter and academic focused area. These areas are subject to availability.

  • How do I apply to live on-campus at UON Student Living?

All applications must be made by completing an online application form via the UON Student Living Portal.  

  • When do applications for UON Student Living open?

Applications for 2015 open at 9:00 am (AEST), 1 October 2014.

  • How do I get a login ID and password to make an online application for accommodation?

If it is the first time you have made an application for accommodation, you need to go to the UON Student Living Portal and register for a login ID and password. Click on the 'Register' tab to enter your details and generate your login for future use.

  •  Do I have to make a separate application for the different residences?

No, you can only make ONE application with the option to nominate up to four different room preferences. 

  • What do I need to make a complete application? 

You will need an electronic head and shoulder photo of yourself and any supporting documents. You will also need a (non-refundable) $100 processing fee payable online by Visa or MasterCard.

  • When do applications close? 

Applications don't have a closing date. We continue to take applications until we fill our residences. When we are full we begin a Waiting List. Some people find their study or personal options change and they may withdraw their application at various times before Uni starts in 2015. When this happens we start to allocate to those on the Waiting list. First Official offers are made on December 19, 2014.

  • What kind of supporting documents should I include? 

Supporting documents are optional but may include things like medical certificates that help us assess your physical and other support needs. You may also include references. These may be personal (from a friend or someone you know well, for example) or professional (for example from a boss or a teacher). These are used to assist with our community building programs. Not including them won't affect your chances of securing a room.

  • My degree isn't listed in the programs to choose from. What should I do? 

Choose the closest program to your own and then email us at with the correct program and we will update it manually from our end.

  • The portal was experiencing high traffic and logged me out. Will my entries be saved?

The portal generally auto-saves most entries but if you have to write a long response it may be worthwhile to write it up on a word document first and copy it over to your application.

  • I want to share with a friend. How can we make sure we end up together?

You both need to complete your application and pay your $100 non-refundable application fee. You will be asked to nominate a room mate elsewhere in the application.

  • What if I want to share but don't have anyone to share with? 

Both applicants need to nominate one another in order to create a share. If you don't have someone in mind, it will not be possible to arrange a share at this time.

  • I made a mistake in my application and can't go back. What do I do? 

Any mistakes can be fixed by us manually. Simply email us at

  • I am only studying at UON for one semester, can I live on campus? 

Yes you can! But in the application you will have to choose the 'full year' and then email us at and tell us you are a single semester student, and provide documentation as to why you only need a single semester. We will update the information for you from our end.

  • The contract is 43 weeks. What happens for the other nine weeks of the year? 

Lots of people return home during those weeks at the end of the year, however we do offer a Summer Stay option for those people who wish to stay on campus for that time.

  • I deferred my study. Can I apply to live on campus? 

You must be enrolled to study (full or part time) at the University of Newcastle in 2015 to apply to live on campus now. If you are deferring for 2015 please apply again at then end of that year. Find out more about deferring your study.

  • What does 'pp' mean in the rate card or brochure? 

'pp' means 'per person' and is the cost each person must pay in shared accommodation.

  • The rates quoted are 'Excl. GST'. Do I have to add GST to the price?

If you are an enrolled student at The University of Newcastle you do not have to pay GST on your on-campus accommodation. The rates quoted are total weekly rates.

  • I have already submitted my UON Student Living application, can I make any changes to my personal details or preferences?

Yes, if you would like to change your preferences or any other details, please email

  • What are the 'special admission categories'?

Special admission categories have been developed to ensure rooms are available to students with particular abilities or situations. Each category has a certain minimum number of rooms being held aside for suitable students until 2 January 2015, at which time they will be offered to the general student population if available.

The categories are:

- Students with a Medical Condition

- Students with a Disability

- Students of Indigenous / Torres Strait Islander descent

- Honour, Postgraduate and RHD students

Those suitable to apply for one of these categories should undertake the normal application process before 2 January 2015 and indicate their particular suitability where required within the application.

  • When will I be notified if I am offered a room on campus?

We aim to send an official offer to successful applicants by 19 December 2014.

If you are not offered a room on-campus during the main round of offers (19 December 2014), you may still be offered a room at a later date if you wish to remain on the wait list. You will be asked if you would like to be on the waitlist if you are not offered a room initially.

  • What happens to my application fee if I am not selected for on-campus accommodation?

The processing fee is non-refundable and must be paid at time of making an application online to complete and validate your application.

  • If my application for UON Student Living is not successful, what other options do I have?

The University of Newcastle offers free assistance to all UON students wanting to organise off-campus accommodation by providing information about rental accommodation and maintains an interactive database of current off-campus accommodation options. Find out more about our off-campus accommodation service.

  • I have forgotten my login ID and password for the UON Student Living Portal, what do I do?

Email your full name, student number and date of birth to and we will email your login ID and password. 

  • Can I defer an offer for on-campus accommodation?

No, if you are offered a spot on campus it is only for the current year. 

  • When will I have to pay the processing fee, acceptance fees, room deposit and room fee in advance?

The $100 (non-refundable) processing fee is payable upon submission of your application.

The Community Levy, together with the Room Deposit and Room Fees in Advance are payable to accept an offer of accommodation. The payment date for this will be communicated within the offer itself. 

  • What are the total fees and charges I need to pay to accept my offer to live on-campus?

When making an application for on-campus accommodation the following application and acceptance fees also apply:

- Processing Fee (Non-refundable) - $100.00 (full year or single semester)

- Acceptance Fee (Full year) is a total of $X and consists of the Community Levy of $500.00.

- Acceptance Fee (Single Semester) is a total of $X and consists of Community Levy $500.00 and a Single Semester Fee $100.00

- Room Deposit (refundable) - Equivalent to 4 weeks x weekly room rate (full year or single semester) 

- Room Fee In Advance - Equiv. to 2 weeks x weekly room rate (full year or single semester)

Note: The Room Deposit is held against any room fee, damage or other miscellaneous charges outstanding at the end of the contract period.  If no charges are outstanding, this will be refunded.

  • I forgot to print out a copy of my Student Occupancy Agreement from the portal. Where can I obtain another?  

Copies of the Student Occupancy Agreements are available below

- Student occupancy agreement with guarantor (PDF, 295KB)

Student occupancy agreement without guarantor (PDF, 280KB)

Student occupancy agreement information table (PDF, 74KB)

  • What do i bring?

Information about what you can bring can be found in this document.

  • How do I pay for my weekly accommodation fees?

Your weekly accommodation fees are paid by Direct Debit.  All residents are required to sign up to a Direct Debit Authority via the UON Student Living Portal allowing UON Student Living to deduct your account on predetermined, fortnightly Direct Debit dates.  You can also pay  your account via the online UON Student Living Portal in advance of these dates if you wish to make bulk payments.

  • What catering options are available?

We offer catered, semi-catered and self-catered options in our residences. Meal Plans may be also be purchased - 5 meals package for $56.25 per week and a 16 meals package for $116.25 per week.

  • I have special dietary requirement, is this catered for in catered accommodation?

If you choose catered accommodation a majority of special dietary requirements are catered for, just let us know before arriving so that our kitchen can accommodate you.

  • Is Halal food catered for and included in the fees for catered accommodation?

If residents adhere to a Halal diet, it may be preferable to stay in self-catered accommodation. There are butchers within in the Newcastle area that provide Halal meats. The caterers for the catered accommodation ensure that all chicken meats is Halal, but do not provide Halal lamb or beef.

  • What equipment is supplied in the self-catered kitchens?

Kitchens are partially equipped containing kettle, toaster, microwave oven, electric stove/oven and fridge/freezer. The kitchenette in studio rooms is partially equipped containing kettle, toaster, convection microwave, electric stove and fridge/freezer.

  • Can I bring a car when I live on-campus?

Yes, however to park within the residential colleges you will need to obtain a Residential Parking Permit.  These permits for 2014 cost $151.66 for a full year and $75.83 for a half year only (Callaghan campus).  Blue Gum House at Central Coast campus has its own car park with no charge parking.  To coordinate a Residential Parking Permit contact the Accommodation Services office.

  • Where can I park once I am a resident?

We understand that parking on campus can be challenging sometimes so here is a quick overview of the type of parking available on campus.

Resident Only Carparks

We have a limited number of resident only car parks within the accommodation precinct. You will need to purchase and display a valid Residential Parking Permit to park in either car park 11, car park 15 or car park 18 (adjacent to Evatt House). Residential parking permits are available via the accommodation portal

A new resident only car park is currently being built adjacent to car park 15 however this will not be operational until April. As an interim measure we also have car park 10 and car park 6 operating as Temporary Resident Overflow carparks. A valid Resident Parking Permit must be displayed if you choose to park in either of these car parks. Note that if you park in any other car park on campus you will need to purchase a daily parking ticket as Resident Parking Permits are only valid for the resident only car parks.

General Parking

The majority of our car parks are general parking whereby a valid Student Parking Permit must be displayed or you must purchase a daily parking ticket from the machines. Resident Parking Permits are not valid for use on general car parks.

Free car parks

Car park 16 (near the train station) is a free car park. From the 16 February we will also be opening a Temporary Overflow car park on Oval 5.

A free shuttle service runs throughout the campus and its car parks during the semester. You can also call for a pick up and they will take you, and your shopping, to your accommodation building.

  • Is it ok for my friends or family to visit me?

Yes, it is fine for you to invite someone who is not a resident on-campus to visit you or stay with you in your residence. That person then becomes your guest and you are responsible for their behaviour as per The University's Residential By-Laws.