Students who travel overseas on official University activities are covered by our corporate travel policy for the official University component of their trip. Approved activities can include student exchange, professional placement or other course-related activities.

Please note this cover is limited. You should find out what it doesn't cover before you go and, if needed, organise additional personal travel insurance.

Before you go

What is covered

What you are covered for always depends on the situation, documentation provided and any exclusions to policy. The basic sections of coverage are:

  • emergency medical expenses and evacuation
  • travel cancellation/curtailment and additional expenses
  • personal liability
  • luggage, personal effect, and travel documents (there are limits to what you can claim in each category and a $500 excess applies to electronic goods, except cameras).


Maximum period of 180 days

This is regardless of any breaks in coverage (for example semester breaks). You need to purchase your own insurance beyond those dates and for any personal travel. The period begins on the day you commence the University activity (which could be the date you depart Australia or the start of Semester, depending on your private travel plans. See what is not covered below).

Prescription medicines

Coverage is for loss or theft of prescriptions, not for obtaining refills of scripts whilst travelling.

Pre-existing medical conditions

Coverage is for emergency and unforseen medical conditions. Regular or ongoing medical treatment is not covered. For example, having a check up on your asthma condition is not covered, however treatment for a sudden asthma attack may be covered if it is unforseen. Contact our Insurance Team to discuss your pre-existing medical condition.

Weekends and Public Holidays

We can extend this to cover weekends provided you were attending your university activity on the Friday prior and the Monday following the weekend. You can also be covered if your University is closed due to a public holiday.

Before and after semester start and end dates

We can cover one week before and after semester start and end dates specifically for the purpose of orientation and moving in/out of accommodation. This extension is only for coverage at the host university city and is not for side trips on the way to your overseas location. Please contact our Insurance Team to confirm coverage.

What is not covered

Your personal travel is not covered, even if it is taken in conjunction with travel for University purposes. You need to obtain your own insurance for personal travel.

Semester breaks

You will need to obtain private travel insurance for all semester breaks.

Competing in professional sport

This involves playing sport in a professional capacity.

Extreme and high risk activities

These include but are not limited to:

  • any snow sports - skiing, snowboarding, ice-climbing etc
  • hunting
  • racing (other than on foot)
  • polo playing
  • hang gliding
  • rodeo riding
  • BASE jumping
  • mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or guides
  • scuba diving unless you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor.

Travel to countries and states with Alert Level: Do Not Travel by DFAT

Check with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. If your University activity is in a DFAT Do Not Travel rated country or state, you need to obtain approval from the Pro Vice Chancellor of your Faculty.

What to do in an emergency

If you experience a medical or security problem while travelling, you can get help from International SOS (ISOS). Our membership of ISOS provides access to free, 24/7 assistance on call, online and even on the ground to help with any medical, security and logistical questions, concerns and situations that may arise. This may include recommending an appropriate doctor or medical service.

Call ISOS +61 2 9372 2468

You can call this Sydney number reverse charge from overseas or you can contact any ISOS office overseas. For more information on countries you are visiting, and to download the ISOS Smartphone App, please see International SOS.

The University membership number is 12ACPA000086.

Make a claim

Gather and keep all documents relating to your loss or injury. Examples include police reports, medical reports, and lost baggage correspondence.

Complete the Corporate travel claim form (DOC, 150KB) and lodge it with our Insurance Team.

You should notify the Insurance Team as soon as possible of your circumstances and lodge your claim within six months of the date of loss or injury. Claims not lodged within six months risk being denied.