Our campuses and facilities are safe places to visit, study and work. However everyone should be vigilant, especially when on campus after dark. Report suspicious behaviour to Security Services who are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
- 4921 5888 (Newcastle campus and City precinct)
- 4348 4222 (Central Coast campus)
- 0412 595 054 (Port Macquarie)
Follow the simple tips below to help you stay safe.
Plan your movements
- If at our Newcastle or Central Coast campus catch the security shuttle bus.
- If walking after dark, walk in a group or call Security for an escort on 4921 5888 (Newcastle campus), 0400 243 022 (Newcastle City precinct), 4348 4222 (Central Coast) or 0412 595 054 (Port Macquarie).
- Stick to the priority walking route, which includes the road to Warabrook train station and the path to on-campus residences.
- Get to know the campus and the emergency phone locations (Newcastle campus or Central Coast campus).
- If you are planning to be on campus after dark, move your car closer to your location and have your keys in your hand as you approach your car.
- Know your transport timetable to avoid long waits at bus or train stations.
- Do not carry large amounts of money.
Be aware of your surroundings
- Stick to main roads rather than quiet, unlit paths.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Pay attention to your intuition. If any area doesn't feel safe - avoid it.
- Change direction if you think you are being followed.
- Don't walk alone at night listening to your iPod.
- If in trouble, make a lot of noise.
- Be alert and walk purposefully.
Report suspicious behaviour
- Program University Security's phone number into your mobile phone.
- Remember, most mobile phones will call 000 even when no credit is on the sim card.