We know as a new member of our team, there are lots of new things to get used to and do. Your manager/supervisor or an Onboarding Officer within your faculty or division will help you and you can work through the process below to help set yourself up and get ready for work. We do our best to prepare and get you ready to be productive on your first day.
What to do on your first day
- Use your staff number to set up your computer accounts.
- Activate your HRonline account.
- Get your NUcard staff ID card.
- Familiarise yourself with key online systems such as HRonline, Maximo, 17triplezero IT service portal.
- See Human Resource Services or your Onboarding Officer for your complimentary two week parking permit (Newcastle campus only).
- Look into longer term parking and transport options and organise a permit if you need one.
- If your manager or Onboarding Officer has not done it already, apply for any keys or access cards that are relevant to your area.
- Your manager or someone from your team will help you get familiarised with the office including where the kitchen, toilets, photocopier and printer are.
- Have a look around this web site to learn more about UoN and what we do.
- Update your staff directory details in HRonline.
- Look at the campus maps to help you find your way around.
What to do in your first two weeks
- Use HRonline to book into an orientation session.
- Complete the online training for Health and Safety Induction and EO Online.
- Look at the training and development timeline (PDF, 294KB) for new staff and book into the other required training sessions over your first few months.
- If you are a manager or supervisor familiarise yourself with managing and recruiting staff.
- If you are a teacher book yourself in for a faculty induction and complete the NUstar registration form (PDF, 370KB).
- Read important documents for your faculty or division and corporate information including our NeW Directions Strategic Plan, policy library, style guide, organisational chart.
- Find out how to set up your desk and equipment properly to avoid injury.
- Complete the form for access to your shared drive.
- Complete the form for access to additional software.
- Complete the TRIM access form (PDF, 1.2MB) if you need access.
- Get up to speed with managing email effectively.
- If you need a mobile phone for your position, complete the request form.
- Familiarise yourself with your desk phone and set up your voicemail, see IT and computing for user guides.
- See our attractive range of employment benefits and conditions.
- See the templates available for staff.
What to do in your first six months
- Your manager will work with you to complete the probation process.
- View the Orientation to the PRD E-learning module (YouTube video) and work with your manager to complete the performance review and development (PRD) process.
- Complete the orientation checklist (PDF, 235KB) and forward it to Human Resource Services.
If you are an Onboarding Officer please use the onboarding guide (DOC, 24KB) to help prepare for the arrival of a new staff member.