At UoN we take a coordinated approach and ensure efficient use of business intelligence tools and resources than can help you:
- improve the quality of our services and programs
- implement major institutional changes with a positive impact
- find and support innovative everyday business solutions
The team at Strategy, Planning and Performance works with all staff so that together
we maximise our institution's return on investment and maintain high levels of management information quality and integrity.
What is business intelligence?
Business Intelligence at UoN is the process of informing and supporting decision-making using information from all areas of the University and the sector. This is presented via the MIS Portal. Staff can use this information and knowledge to make quicker and more effective decisions.
The MIS Portal is easy to use, interactive, and provides immediate and real-time information.
The MIS contains a data warehouse that collects data from a variety of University systems on a daily basis, and from external national and international data sources. Authorised staff can then access the structured information products via the MIS Portal dashboard. To do this they can select a standard mix of information or can compose a presentation that suits their particular needs. An example is student enrolments by faculty and campus.
At UoN our business intelligence objectives aim to:
- maximise the intelligent use of data, to see robust information influencing continual improvement of strategy, roles and process
- ensure clear data governance and stewardship definitions, data roles and related processes across our institution
- develop a data architecture foundation that promotes re-use of data and managing data as a valuable organisation asset
- maintain an accessible and flexible business intelligence platform that can be leveraged by all areas of our organisation
- ensure reporting tools meet the needs of staff across our organisation as technology cycles and new requirements emerge
- routinely review our business intelligence maturity, to ensure a planned and systematic approach to our processes, tools and resources
- work closely with faculties and divisions in order to understand your management information needs and priorities
- develop an analytical culture that supports information driven decision-making