Leadership and strategy
The University of Newcastle is recognised as a world-class university with current rankings placing us in the top three per cent of universities world-wide. This is a remarkable achievement for a university that is only 50 years old.
Under the governance and strategic leadership of our Chancellor Mr Paul Jeans and Vice-Chancellor Professor Caroline McMillen, supported by the Council and Executive Committee, the UON workforce of academic and professional staff are working toward the realisation of our 2025 vision.
The UON 2025 vision
UON stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence and to creating a better future for its regions through a focus on innovation and impact.
Equity and social justice
We provide opportunities for people with ability, regardless of their background and experiences. We lead in providing education for indigenous Australians.
We deliver the highest quality in everything we do and benchmark ourselves against the world's best.
Our staff, students and alumni are a resource for our whole community. We are partners and collaborators in world-class research, teaching and learning, and our skilled graduates contribute to our regions, Australia and the world.
We challenge standard practice and received wisdom. We are world leaders in generating new knowledge and translating innovative ideas into real benefits to society.
We are open, ethical, rigorous and committed to the highest standards in academic enquiry. We are champions of academic freedom and professional responsibility.
We are leaders in environmental sustainability. We make a significant contribution to the economic, social and environmental capacity of our communities.
NeW Directions is our strategic response to the changing global higher education landscape.
Framed by the University's vision and values, the five key plans within NeW Directions outline our objectives and the strategies we will implement to meet them.
Our education strategies in NeW Directions Strategic Plan aim to support staff to develop the skills and resources they need to be innovative, and deliver a rewarding and challenging student experience.
Education Plan Strategic Objectives
- Build access, participation and success for our students.
- High quality academic programs that support the global competitiveness of the UoN graduate.
- An outstanding student experience on and off campus that includes student engagement in research, work or community focussed activities.
- Innovative educational delivery models that place the University of Newcastle in the top quartile for teaching and learning performance in Australia by 2015.
- An outstanding and dynamic teaching culture and workforce.
World-class performance in research and innovation will position us among the world's best universities in our spheres of achievement.
Research and Innovation Plan Strategic Objectives
- Build areas of research strength and impact, and achieve a world university ranking in the top 200.
- Deliver world-class innovation through collaborative engagement in research projects with industry, business and government partners in our regions and across Australia.
- Increase the world standing of our research through new collaborative arrangements and with first-rate international partners.
- Build the next generation of research leaders at the University of Newcastle.
- Support our staff to build success in research.
The contribution of each and every one of our staff members is important if we are to deliver the 2025 Vision. We will recruit academic and professional staff who are committed to the UoN Vision and Values, and we will provide staff with opportunities to be innovative and to excel in what they do.
Future Workforce Plan Strategic Objectives
- Staff are supported to perform at world-class levels and to be innovative in their practice.
- UoN has the leadership capacity and capability to deliver the 2025 Vision, performance targets and lead strategies.
- Staff are clear about their roles and the performance required to support career aspirations in the context of the 2025 Vision.
- Staff actively engage with international, national and regional communities and our conjoints, alumni, friends and benefactors.
- UoN is a vibrant and dynamic community and a healthy and rewarding place to work.
With clear directions for each of our campuses, we will establish the right settings and structures to support the delivery of services to staff and students. We will systematically improve services and realign resource allocation to achieve our key priorities.
Campus, Capital and IT Plan Strategic Objectives
- UoN provides a unified virtual and physical environment supporting the attainment of excellence and innovation in education and research.
- The UoN provides infrastructure for all modes of study and at campuses and locations that support world-class education and research.
- Our identified and emerging areas of research strength are supported through targeted renewal and development of best practice research infrastructure.
- Quality physical and virtual environments across the University provide a vibrant student experience and staff culture.
- Quality infrastructure and services support the attainment of excellence in education.
Through diverse commercial opportunities, sound financial management and investment, we will create a sustainable financial future that supports our aspirations to be a global leader in our spheres of achievement.
Finance Plan Strategic Objectives
- The University will deliver a targeted investment over five years to progress its aspiration to be a global leader in each of its spheres of achievement and deliver world class innovation.
- The University will follow responsible financial management practices that enable it to generate the resources required to invest in its future.
- The University will seek commercial opportunities that diversify its revenue base, and provide additional resources for its core teaching and research missions.
- The University will follow sound financing and investment practices that make a positive contribution to a sustainable financial future.