Travel insurance information for staff

Read more about:

What is covered

What you are covered for always depends on the situation, documentation provided and any exclusions to policy. The basic sections of coverage are:

  • emergency medical expenses and evacuation
  • travel cancellation/curtailment and additional expenses
  • personal liability
  • luggage, personal effect, and travel documents (there are limits to what you can claim in each category and a $500 excess applies to electronic goods, except cameras).

Personal travel

To help staff optimise their travel plans and provide some flexibility in travel bookings, our coverage includes limited private travel. Conditions apply, so please refer to the information below for important information regarding what this does and does not cover or check with the CS&C Insurance.

Private travel insurance is only available to staff when:

  • the purpose of the trip is primarily for business (50% or more of the trip is business related), and
  • private travel days do not exceed five days in total

If these two conditions are not met, private insurance cover will not be available and we recommend that you purchase your own travel insurance cover for any private component of your trip or for your entire trip.

Some additional points you should note:

  • Your return trip to Australia is considered private if the last day of the trip is private (even if flight is paid for by the University).
  • If your trip was eight hours or more, up to 10 hours immediately following arrival at your final destination will be considered business travel.
  • Weekends are only covered provided you worked on the Friday prior and the Monday following the weekend.  Please contact the CS&C Insurance should you have varied work schedules.

Travel limitations

  • Spouses and children are not covered under the UON travel policy.
  • Our policy has 180 days maximum coverage. You need to arrange your own personal cover after this time is exhausted or for your entire trip if it exceeds this period.
  • Prescription medicine coverage is for loss or theft of prescriptions, not for obtaining refills of scripts whilst travelling.
  • Pre-existing medical conditions coverage is for emergency and unforeseen medical conditions. Regular or ongoing medical treatment is not covered. For example, having a check up on your asthma condition is not covered, however treatment for a sudden asthma attack may be covered if it is unforeseen. Contact our CS&C Insurance to discuss your pre-existing medical condition.
  • Travel Insurance does not cover staff aged over 85 years. Please contact the CS&C Insurance if you are over 85.
  • No coverage for private travel to countries rated as by DFAT as Alert Level: Do Not Travel at the time of booking. You should notify the Insurance team before travelling to any such rated country for university activities.
  • No coverage for high risk activities (unless this is agreed as being part of your official University activity).  Examples include, but are not limited to:
    • any snow sports, such as skiing, snowboarding, ice-climbing etc.
    • hunting
    • racing (other than on foot)
    • polo playing
    • hang gliding
    • rodeo riding
    • BASE jumping
    • sports activities in a professional capacity
    • mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or guides
    • scuba diving unless the traveller holds an Open Water Diving Certificate or is diving with a qualified diving instructor.