We want our staff to reach their full potential. This is why we have made it our priority to remove the structural, attitudinal and environmental barriers which may stop a staff member with a disability from giving their best.
We work with WorkFocus Australia, a disability advisory service, to become more informed about the various types of disabilities and to develop tailored plans to recruit and retain people with a disability.
WorkFocus Australia works with UoN to:
- increase awareness and education of the benefits of employing people with a disability
- develop systems and processes for the recruitment and retention of people with a disability
- provide assistance and knowledge of the Commonwealth Government schemes that are available for the employment of people with a disability
Disability Employment Program
The Equity and Diversity Unit, in collaboration with Human Resource Services have used this information to coordinate a disability employment program. This program provides each faculty and division with:
- access to an "untapped" employment market
- a one-stop-shop service which includes free practical information
- advice and support on employing people with a disability
- access to new Commonwealth disability employment initiatives
- innovations, wage support schemes and incentives
- access to experienced and qualified professionals with skills and knowledge relating to workplace assessment and adjustment for people with a disability
For more information about the recruitment of a person with a disability, you should contact Rachel Fowell, Equity & Diversity Manager on 4921 5248.