Tourism Principles and Practices
This course is no longer offered. It has been replaced by TOUR2003 Global Tourism Management.
This course introduces and contextualises the phenomenon of tourism within the broader social, cultural, economic and natural environments. It provides a historical overview of the development of tourism, describes the tourism industry and its constituent sectors, presents theories of tourism motivation and tourist behaviour, and outlines different types of tourism and their impacts on the various environments within which it operates. The course engages with the principles of sustainability as they apply to tourism management and planning, and critically examines issues relating to sustainable tourism development.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. Explain key concepts and terminology that underpin the phenomenon of tourism and the field of tourism studies;
2. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles of sustainability as they apply to tourism at both a micro and macro level;
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the relationships between tourism and the environments in which it operates, and the connection this has to contemporary issues in sustainable tourism development;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the primary structures, functions and operations of industry and government bodies which comprise the tourism system nationally and internationally
5. Work autonomously and collaboratively to develop scholarly skills including effective research and the critical evaluation and presentation of information related to tourism in written and oral form
Topics will include, but are not restricted to:
- Historical development of tourism.
- Tourists and tourism demand and supply.
- Sustainability principles and the tourism industry
- The tourism industry and the tourism system.
- Tourist flows and destinations.
- Tourist attractions
- Transport and accommodation
- Mass tourism and sustainable alternatives
- Introduction to tourism policy
Written Assignment: Tutorial Assessment
Written Assignment: Research Exercise: Issues in Global Tourism
Essay: Major Essay
Formal Examination: Formal Exam