Tourism Principles and Practices
|Course code TOUR1000||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Business School|
This course introduces and contextualises the phenomenon of tourism within the broader social, cultural, economic and natural environments. It provides a historical overview of the development of tourism, describes the tourism industry and its constituent sectors, presents theories of tourism motivation and tourist behaviour, and outlines different types of tourism and their impacts on the various environments within which it operates. The course engages with the principles of sustainability as they apply to tourism management and planning, and critically examines issues relating to sustainable tourism development.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On completion of this course, students will be able to:|
1. Explain key concepts and terminology that underpin the phenomenon of tourism and the field of tourism studies;
2. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles of sustainability as they apply to tourism at both a micro
and macro level;
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the relationships between tourism and the environments in which it operates, and the
connection this has to contemporary issues in sustainable tourism development;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the primary structures, functions and operations of industry and government bodies
which comprise the tourism system nationally and internationally;
5. Work autonomously and collaboratively to develop scholarly skills including effective research and the critical
evaluation and presentation of information related to tourism in written and oral form.
|Content||Topics will include, but are not restricted to:|
1. Historical development of tourism.
2. Tourists and tourism demand and supply.
3. Sustainability principles and the tourism industry
4. The tourism industry and the tourism system.
5. Tourist flows and destinations.
6. Tourist attractions
7. Transport and accommodation
8. Mass tourism and sustainable alternatives
9. Introduction to tourism policy
|Replacing Course(s)||This course replaces LEIS1060.|
|Transition||This course is not available to students who have successfully completed LEIS1060.|
|Assumed Knowledge||There is no assumed knowledge for this course.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for TOUR1000|