Transformative Leadership in Human Services
This course responds to the need for new conceptions of leadership in Human Service Organisations. Leaders in organisations need to be able to motivate, coach, mentor and support staff in rapidly changing environments with limited resources. In this course students will learn about a variety of leadership styles as well as how to identify and develop personal strengths and abilities to be an effective leader. Emphasis will be on transformative leadership and team capacity building.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Critically examine the values, assumptions and dominant ideas underlying leadership theory and practice in contemporary human service organisations.
2. Provide current reference material related to leadership styles with an emphasis on transformative, strenghths-based and visionary leadership.
3. Critically examine best-practice frameworks and strategies for effective leadership.
4. Encourage students to critically reflect on the process of developing creative, sustainable, ethical, and responsive human service organisations.
5. Develop students' capacities to strengthen themselves and their team members in and through transformative leadership.
6. Promote inclusive and diverse approaches to leadership.
7. Contribute to research, scholarly debate and action aimed at social justice and social change.
This course will:
- Review current literature and theory on leadership styles, communications, strength building, and team capacity building.
- Encourage reflective thinking and students will identify and develop their own unique and effective leadership style and approach.
- Assist students in experiencing the application of theoretical concepts to practice by applying authentic cases drawn from practice examples, dialogue, narrative/journal writing and discussion.
An undergraduate degree in a relevant area, e.g. Bachelor Social Work, Bachelor of Social Science, Bachelor of Arts.
Online Learning Activity: Online Journal - Reflection & Discussion
Online Learning Activity: A2 - Leadership & Change in an Organisation
Project: Organisational based project
WebLearn GradSchool and Callaghan
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
Callaghan Workshop for 3 Hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks Self-directed learning/group work