Transformative Leadership in Human Services
|Course code SWRK6200||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
This course responds to the need for new conceptions of leadership in Human Service Organisations. Leaders in organisations need to be able to motivate, coach, mentor and support staff in rapidly changing environments with limited resources. In this course students will learn about a variety of leadership styles as well as how to identify and develop personal strengths and abilities to be an effective leader. Emphasis will be on transformative leadership and team capacity building.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||1. To critically examine the values, assumptions and dominant ideas underlying leadership theory and practice in contemporary human service organisations.|
2. To provide current reference material related to leadership styles with an emphasis on transformative, strenghths-based and visionary leadership.
3. To critically examine best-practice frameworks and strategies for effective leadership.
4. To encourage students to critically reflect on the process of developing creative, sustainable, ethical, and responsive human service organisations.
5. To develop students' capacities to strengthen themselves and their team members in and through transformative leadership.
6. To promote inclusive and diverse appraches to leadership.
7. To contribute to research, scholarly debate and action aimed at social justice and social change.
|Content||This course will: |
* Review current literature and theory on leadership styles, communications, strength building, and team capacity building.
* Encourage reflective thinking and students will identify and develop their own unique and effective leadership style and approach.
* Assist students in experiencing the application of theoretical concepts to practice by applying authentic cases drawn from practice examples, dialogue, narrative/journal writing and discussion.
|Assumed Knowledge||An undergraduate degree in a relevant area, e.g. Bachelor Social Work, Bachelor of Social Science, Bachelor of Arts.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : Paper Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Self Directed Learning|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 7 weeks|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for SWRK6200|