Social Work Research
Students will develop an understanding of the role that research plays in social work practice and competence in planning a practice-based research study that would inform social work intervention. Students will attain knowledge and skills in qualitative and quantitative methods that may be used in practice-based social research. Ethical issues and critical debates in social work research will also be examined.
Not currently available.
1. Understand the role of research in social work practice
2. Be able to critically review the published research.
3. Develop knowledge in quantitative and qualitative research methods and an understanding of when particular methods are most appropriate to answer different types of research questions encountered in social work practice
4. Gain practical skills in gathering and analysing research data
5. Develop competence in identifying and appropriately responding to ethical and cultural issues encountered in social work research.
6. Engaged in informed debate on social, political, ethical, technical and practical issues surrounding social work research, particularly in relation to diverse cultural groups
7. Understand and critique the use of evidence based practice in social work
- The role of research in social work practice.
- Designing a research project.
- Gathering quantitative and qualitative data.
- Analysing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ethical and political issues in social work
- Critical appraisal of published research.
- Writing a research proposal.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Social Work or Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) programs.
Completion of all 2nd year and semester 1 3rd year SWRK courses in the Bachelor of Social Work program.
Written Assignment: Written assignment 1
Written Assignment: Written assignment 2
Project: Ungraded assessment tasks *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Project: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.