Introduction to Social Work 1
Central themes across the course are social justice, equality and social work in Australian society. Historical and contemporary debates are examined focusing on the way in which social equality and inequality are constructed via race, gender, income, age and sexuality.
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an initial understanding of core social work values of justice and equality as they impact on specific demographic and identity groups in Australian society.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of historical and contemporary debates and discussions in Australia regarding social justice and equality.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the major social policy developments in Australia to date in relation to race, gender, income, young people, older people, and people of diverse sexual identities.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of how own expression, responses to people, situations and ideas impact on others and shape their practice as social workers.
5. Demonstrate skills in effective listening, giving and receiving feedback and presenting information to an audience. Students demonstrate these through class participation and group work and the oral assessment.
6. Demonstrate the capacity to work independently and as part of a group.
7. Demonstrate basic skills in group work through the completion of a range of group activities and reflections upon the group processes and dynamics over the year.
8. Demonstrate research skills including capacity to search for and find relevant information from policy, academic and other literature, research and demographic data, analyse information and outline the implications in a clear and logical argument and identify the assumptions and ideological values in a range of literature.
- Inequality in society.
- Current inequalities in Australian society eg. race, gender, economic.
- Social work responses to inequality.
- Group dynamics and group theory.
- Professional ethics and professional practice.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) program.
Presentation: Group presentations
Written Assignment: Written assignment 1
Written Assignment: Written assignment 2
Face to Face On Campus 5 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks