Introduces elementary plane surveying to students of surveying, civil engineering and environmental engineering. It covers basic concepts relating to such things as co-ordinate systems, and it introduces basic equipment and its usage.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Introduce students to fundamental surveying concepts such as horizontal and vertical co-ordinate systems, horizontal and vertical angles and their manipulation, and graphical presentation of three-dimensional information, through contours
2. Bring students to competency in differential levelling
3. Introduce students to the capabilities and techniques of usage of the following, and to develop basic usage skills, without detailed theory. * electronic theodolites, * coarse positioning through the Global Positioning System, * electronic distance measurement systems,
4. Introduce students to concepts and practicalities of computer aided drafting, and develop basic usage skills.
- Introduction to fundamental concepts: horizontal and vertical co-ordinate systems, horizontal and vertical angles; graphical presentations such as contours.
- Differential levelling.
- Electronic theodolites.
- Distance measurement.
- Global Positioning System
- Basic drafting.
HSC or equivalent.
Written Assignment: Assignment (A)
Written Assignment: Assignment (B)
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face Off Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
NOTE: The above distribution of contact hours may alter on a weekly basis and will be confirmed in the course outline handed to students in Week 1.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term