Students undertake supervised face-to-face clinical experience with particular speech pathology caseloads, i.e. voice, and fluency. Clinical placements are usually the on-campus setting, and involve full day attendance (8.00am - 5pm), as allocated (one day per week, or block allocation), for the period allocated for up to 20 days (and may include attendance outside the semester).In addition, when available, observation of specialist paediatric caseload management in the hospital setting may be required.
Available in 2015
Previously offered in 2014
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1, Semester 2|
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will:|
1. Demonstrate levels of clinical competence as required to meet the Competency Based Occupational Standards for Speech Pathologists, and in reasoning, communication, professionalism, and lifelong learning
2. Experience (directly or indirectly) clinical management of voice and fluency disorders in children or adults.
3. Communicate their clinical experience and competence verbally and in writing in a professional and ethical manner.
4. Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour appropriate to the policies and procedures of the clinical placement setting.
|Content||This course provides clinical practice experience with voice and fluency caseloads. The student is supervised by a qualified speech pathologist. Students will be involved with the planning and delivery of services for assessment and treatment of individual cases, as well as having the opportunity to participate in a range of service delivery/caseload management models.|
|Assumed Knowledge||SPTH2001, SPTH2004, SPTH3004, SPTH3080, PSYC2300|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Other: (please specify)||1. Progress Indicators (COMPASS Competency-based performance assessment) Pass/Fail Mid- and end of each placement |
2. Record of Range of Experience Record of supervised direct and indirect clinical hours across the range indicators Ungraded requirement End of each placement
|Contact Hours||Clinical: for 160 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
|Requisite by Enrolment||This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Speech Pathology and associated combined degree programs.|
1. Students must have a current ClinConnect Certificate of Compliance before enrolling in SPTH4090.
2. Students must have completed SPTH3080 before enrolling in SPTH4090.
3. Students cannot complete SPTH4080 and SPTH4090 concurrently without the approval of the Program Convenor and the Clinical Education Co-ordinator.
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for SPTH4090|