Speech Path in Education & Community Settings 1

Course code SPTH2210Units 10Level 2000Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science

Focuses primarily on communication disorders typically seen within community health and education settings. Developmental language disorders in children are dealt with at an advanced level for both assessment and treatment. Audiological assessment and diagnosis of hearing and the implications for communication of hearing impairment in children and adults are also studied.

Not available in 2015

ObjectivesStudents will be able to:
1. Demonstrate awareness of etiological factors involved in language impairment in children, and in hearing impairment.
2. Interpret and critique comprehensive language assessments, and audiometric screening procedures.
3. Analyse and interpret findings with regard to knowledge of normal language development and hearing function.
4. Identify further information and referral requirements.
5. Develop comprehensive and detailed plans for language intervention
6. Report on findings and make recommendations for future management.
ContentChild language disorders - Advanced
Language Learning Disability and Autism Spectrum Disorder
Assessment and intervention for the school-aged child
Adolescent language disorder
Discourse approaches to assessment and intervention

Hearing - Diagnosis and assessment
Physiology of hearing and physics of sound
Pure tone and speech audiometry
Other audiological methods
Hearing impairment in children and adults
Replacing Course(s)NA
Industrial Experience0
Assumed KnowledgeSPTH1110
Modes of DeliveryInternal Mode
Teaching MethodsLecture
Assessment Items
Essays / Written AssignmentsLanguage Take home assignment 1,500 words - 25%
Examination: FormalCovering both language (25%) & hearing (25%) topics - total 50%
Other: (please specify)Hearing in class quiz and
Take home assignment 1,500 words - 25%
Contact HoursLecture: for 5 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Compulsory Components
Requisite by EnrolmentThis course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Speech Pathology and associated combined degree programs.