Child Speech and Language 2
|Course code SPTH1002||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
This is the second of the speech pathology core courses required in the Bachelor of Speech Pathology degree. This course is only available to students who have been admitted to the Bachelor of Speech Pathology program. This course extends previous learning about child communication, and the assessment and intervention for speech and language disorders in children, along with further examination of the contribution of hearing to speech and language disorders. This course integrates theoretical learning with an exploration of relevant clinical processes.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, a student should be able to:|
1. Form hypotheses as to the level of breakdown informing management decisions in child speech and language disorders, based on demonstrated understanding of the theoretical and empirical research base in the area.
2. Demonstrate awareness of ways to analyse and interpret child speech and language assessment data in light of normative and research-based data and theory.
3. Identify and describe the basic clinical processes required for the assessment including instrumental investigation.
4. Analyse results of assessment data, using a variety of methods.
5. Demonstrate awareness of general principles involved in intervention for speech and language disorders in children disorders, with particular emphasis on evidence-based practice and modes of service delivery.
|Content||- Classification & theories of speech and language disorders |
- Assessment methods for child speech & language including instrumental investigation for speech and computerised analysis for language
- General principles of clinical intervention for speech and language disorders
- Introduction to specific clinical populations including: Childhood Apraxia of Speech, Specific Language Impairment, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Developmental Disorder
|Replacing Course(s)||SPTH1120 Speech Pathology Introduction 2 (10 units)|
|Transition||SPTH1120 will not be offered after 2009. |
Students who who have not successfully completed SPTH1110 will be able to undertake SPTH1001 instead. No transitional problems are envisaged, as the content coverage is sufficiently similar.
|Assumed Knowledge||Not Applicable.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for SPTH1002|