Human Services and Community Welfare Practicum
|Course code SPSW3015||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
This course provides a mix of supervised field placement and on-campus workshops, which integrate knowledge, values and skills relevant to students' individual areas of inquiry and career path in the Human Services. The overall agency-based component is for 12 weeks which may be completed over the semester as a block or by part-time.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:|
1. An understanding of, and experience in, organisational structures,policies and procedures and community programs.
2. Increased understanding of social issues and problems.
3. Increased knowledge of the range and role of government and non-government agencies in the social and community services sector.
4. An ability to design, implement and evaluate an appropriate agency-based project.
5. An ability to develop and extend understanding and analysis of the relationship between ideology, knowledge, theory, values, ethics and skills.
6. Increased awareness and understanding of use of self.
7. An ability to demonstrate initiative, autonomy and self-directed work practice.
8. An appreciation of, and ability to undertake team work.
|Content||The course covers:|
1. context analysis - organisation, policy, political, theoretical, philosophical aspects;
2. project design, implementation and evaluation;
3. fieldwork - skills, roles, responsibilities, ethical practices.
|Assumed Knowledge||SPSW1001, SPSW1002 and SPSW2002 or equivalent.|
SOCA1100, SOCS2400 or equivalent.
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning|
|Contact Hours||Problem Based Learning: for 2 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term|
Seminar: for 4 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for SPSW3015|