Foundations of Exercise and Sport Psychology
|Course code SPOR2030||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Environmental and Life Sciences|
This course provides students with an introduction to the important issues within the field of exercise and sport psychology. Students will explore the psychological and emotional factors that can influence a persons adoption and adherence to physical activity. Furthermore, the psychological factors that can influence the performance of an athlete as an individual or within a team will be explored. The course is designed to highlight the psychological and emotional factors that influence athletic and physical performance and the impact that exercise and sport has on a person's psychological well-being. Additionally, students will be taught psychological strategies and techniques that can be implemented to prevent or enhance the impact of these psychological and emotional factors in the exercise and sport context.
This course has a compulsory course component in the final examination.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this Compulsory Course Component in the course outline provided by the School.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006|
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students will be able to: |
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the psychological and emotional factors that influence exercise and sport performance;
2. Identify the factors that influence and strategies to enhance an individual's adoption and adherence to physical activity;
3. Identify the psychological factors that influence the professional/client relationship for an exercise practitioner;
4. Describe how to optimise the psychological factors that influence sports performance;
5. Apply psychological enhancement strategies and techniques within the exercise and sporting environment;
6. Cooperate successfully as part of a research group.
|Content||- Personality and Sports Performance|
- Motivation and Self-confidence
- Arousal, Stress and Anxiety
- Group and Team Dynamics
- Psychological Skills Training
- Exercise and Psychological Well-being
- Exercise Adoption and Adherence
- Psychology of Injury and Overtraining
- Addictive Behaviours in Physical Activity
- Psychological Growth and Development through Exercise and Sport
|Assumed Knowledge||PSYC1030 General Psychology; or|
PSYC1020 Psychology Introduction II
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term