Foundations of Exercise and Sports Science
Available in 2012
Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
This course provides an introduction to the field of exercise and sport science. SPOR1010 is the stepping stone to engage with the nature, philosophy, history and scientific foundations of exercise science and sport. Students will be exposed to the key issues and challenges of exercise science and sport including the structure of the industry, as well as career opportunities and pathways.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this Compulsory Course Component in the course outline provided by the School.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Comprehend the nature of exercise & sport science and construct a personal philosophy of exercise & sport science.
2. Describe the historical foundations of exercise science and sport.
3. Explain the various roles of exercise science and sport in society.
4. Distinguish the inter-relationship of the various sub-disciplines of exercise science and sport.
5. Recognise the various careers within exercise science and sport.
- Meaning and philosophy of exercise science and sport
- Goals and objectives of exercise science and sport
- History of exercise science and sport
- Motor behaviour
- Exercise Physiology
- Sport & Exercise Psychology
- Sociology of exercise science and sport
- Careers in exercise science and sport
No specific prior knowledge is assumed.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term