Studying the Social: Contemporary Approaches in Sociology and Anthropology
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
The course is concerned with contemporary social theory and especially with how contemporary sociologists and anthropologists study the social. It is therefore both theoretical and methodological in orientation. In the first part of the course, students are introduced to a number of current social theorists. This is to consolidate and extend the work done in SOCS2200 and other SOCA courses. The second part of the course concentrates on issues of method and methodology and especially on the various methods contemporary sociologists and anthropologists mobilize to study the social. This necessarily involves a confrontation with how new approaches to studying the social have opened out fresh debates regarding the role of ontology, epistemology and ethics for the definition and status of the social sciences as a whole.
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:
1. An engagement with and understanding of a number of contemporary social theorists.
2. An awareness of the way in which debates in the social sciences concern contestation over the roles of ontology, epistemology and ethics in terms of the status and definition of the social sciences as a whole.
3. An understanding of the foundations of key methods used in contemporary sociology and anthropology.
4. An ability to present and critically reflect upon different theoretical approaches in the social sciences in an essay format and through class discussion.
|Content||• Contemporary theorists of the social sciences
• Debates about ontology, epistemology and ethics in the social sciences
• Key methods for studying the contemporary social
|Assumed Knowledge||SOCA1010, SOCA1020; SOCS2200|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term
Forums: for 1 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for SOCA3500|