Social and Cultural Deviance in the City
|Course code SOCA3360||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Students will be introduced to urban anthropology as a field of research. The city is the major focus of urban research. It has been the object of study for planners and reformers in their zeal to make the city governable as well as diverse forms of resistance to such control. The course will consider the rich body of social research that seeks to make sense of the social world created by the modern city.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2012, 2010, 2008|
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students will be able to demonstrate: |
1. An understanding that urban planning processes are not neutral, technical activities, but are deeply embedded in social, political and cultural contexts
2. An understanding of key debates and prevailing approaches in the social analysis of the city.
3. An ability to apply key concepts and strategies of fieldwork research.
|Content||Topics may include:|
1. Defining the experience of the modern city through the studies of the Chicago School.
2. Variations in fieldwork approaches to urban life, Robert Park, Louis Wirth, Erving Goffman, Clyde Mitchell, Max Gluckman.
3. Modern forms of power, Michel Foucault, Marc Auge
4. Modern forms of resistance from hobo life, football hooliganism to crimes of style such as hip hop graffiti and skateboarding
5. An introduction to new approaches to the city: Gentrification, MacDonaldisation (Ritzer), Disneyfication (Zukin), the New Ghetto (Bourdieu, Wacquant, Anderson), the new Social Classes (Sennett, Caldiera, Davis), Edgework and Risk Taking (Lyng, Lupton)
|Replacing Course(s)||Replaces deleted course SOCA3340 Global Cities and Cultures 10 units. Our discipline deleted many courses in 2005 as we lost staff; but new appointments require that we build our offerings to offer students some variety.|
|Transition||Students who have successfully completed SOCA3360: Control and Resistance in Modern Cities will not be permitted to enrol in SOCA3360: Social and Cultural Deviance in the City.|
|Assumed Knowledge||20 units at 1000 level in SOCA.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term