Software Architecture and Quality Management
|Course code SENG6140||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science|
This course has two major parts: Software Architecture and Quality Management.
The first part of this course introduces the field of Software Architecture and develops skills in designing software architectures. A number of architectural styles, focusing on strengths and weaknesses of each, will be discussed. Case studies will be used to demonstrate the design of software architectures. Software architecture has a significant impact on the system quality.
The second part of this course introduces concepts of software quality. It examines principles and techniques for designing quality into software, and for measuring and monitoring quality in software. It focuses on the use of standards, and on formal and informal methods for software verification and validation.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||At the completion of this course students will:|
1) Have a detailed understanding of a number of software architecture styles, and the techniques used for architecture design.
2) Be able to evaluate the different architecture styles available, and to choose the most appropriate style for a large software system.
3) Understand the general strategies used for quality improvement.
4) Understand a number of software metrics and their application in software projects.
5) Understand the role of component quality in the overall quality of a large software system.
6) Be familiar with formal and informal methods for software verification and validation.
7) Understand what is required to manage quality throughout a software project, to produce a high quality final product.
8) Have developed effective verbal and written communication skills
|Content||Topics for this course are:|
" Basic concepts of Software Architecture
" Architecture Design: global analysis
" Architecture Design: conceptual view
" Architecture Design: module view
" Architectural Styles
" Architectural Analysis and Evaluation using case studies
" Formal Methods for Software Verification
" Informal methods for Software Verification and Validation
" Software Quality Measurement
" Software Quality Management
|Replacing Course(s)||SENG4420 Software Architecture|
|Transition||Students may not obtain credit for both SENG6140 and SENG4420.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Permission of Head of Discipline required before enrolling in this course|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for SENG6140|