Contemporary Studies in Spirituality 2
This course offers a range of topics in Spirituality, including Anglican, Augustinian, Australian, Celtic, Mary MacKillop, and Spirituality of the Heart. Each course contextualises the particular spiritual approach and investigates its distinguishing features.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Articulate the history, development and contemporary expression of a particular spirituality.
2. Articulate distinctive features of a specific spirituality.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how to work in both a contextual and focused perspective within the discipline of spirituality.
4. Demonstrate knowledge required for further, and specialised study in this, or a related area.
Themes can include:Mary MacKillop: A Contemporary Study -
- Historical and ecclesial context
- Spirituality within the Australian context
- Life and spirituality of Mary MacKillop
- Models of encounter with God in everyday life
- Implications for contemporary spirituality
Celtic Spirituality -
- History and culture of Celtic tribes
- Religion and beliefs of the Celts
- Pre and post-Christian belief
- Distinctiveness of Celtic spirituality
- Irish expressions of spirituality
An Augustinian Spirituality for Social Justice -
- Augustine of Hippo - his life and times
- The writings of Augustine - Confessions, Rule
- Augustine's Teaching and Praxis
- Community, interiority, Love as motivation for ministry
- Contemporary application of key themes of Augustinian spirituality
- Augustinian spirituality and Social Justice
Anglican Spirituality -
- Anglicanism - historical perspective
- The Anglican Spiritual Tradition
- The Book of Common Prayer
- John Henry Newman and the Oxford Movement
- Ronald Knox, Michael Ramsey
Australian Spirituality -
- History of Christian spirituality in Australia
- Australia culture, society and spirituality
- Contemporary trends
- Effects of multiculturalism and immigration on Australian spirituality
- The Land
- Aboriginal spirituality
- Interfaith perspectives
Spirituality of the Heart
- The mystery of the word 'heart' and its associated language
- Spirituality of the Heart in its scriptural, traditional and theological foundations and expressions
- The contemporary rebirth of Spirituality of the Heart and its relationship to contemplation, woundedness, creativity, peace and justice
- The spiritual journey within contemporary culture - personal transformation and social action
- The Marian dimension
This course replaces the following course(s): THEO6018. Students who have successfully completed THEO6018 are not eligible to enrol in RELT6018.
This course replaces THEO6018. If you have successfully completed THEO6018 you cannot enrol in this course.
Online Learning Activity: Online Discussion Forum
Essay: Short Essay
Written Assignment: Written Assignment