This course will cover health systems and policy to equip students with a conceptual understanding and a set of tools to address major public health challenges from a health systems and health policy perspective. The unit will provide an understanding of health systems including specific topics such as health workforce, financing, service delivery, information systems and health policy, and how these impact health interventions and health status in countries. A case study approach will then provide students with concrete examples of health systems and policy challenges.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe and critically examine the components of Health Systems.
2. Identify and critique key issues in various components of Health Systems in countries.
3. Critically describe and understand how Health Policy is developed, implemented and evaluated in varying settings.
4. Bring evidence based solutions and current world¿s best practice to Strengthen Health Systems.
The course will be designed with 9 Modules, and will have both internal and external delivery modes.
The content of the Modules will include the following:
- Overview and Introduction to Health Systems and Policy.
- Financing of Health Systems.
- Human Resources for Health.
- Health Information Systems.
- Medical Products and Technologies.
- Health Service Provision Paradigms.
- Governance and Health Systems.
- Health Policy
- Globalization and Health Systems & Policy.
Students will have a qualification or experience in a health related field, and will have an understanding of the basic principles of public health.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Online Learning Activity: Online Discussion
Face to Face On Campus 7 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 4
Face to Face On Campus 14 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks starting in week 2
Face to Face on Campus Students will attend a two day workshop starting the 3rd and 4th of August Two days starting the 10th and 11th of August. One day on the 18th of August
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students will have two hours a week online lecture.