Introduction to Quality and Safety in Health Care
Introduces the student to the concepts and applications of quality and safety in health care, covering the historical development of quality improvement and the introduction of quality improvement programs as a multidisciplinary approach in the health field. Available data sources and appropriate data collection methods for the measurement of quality and safety in various health settings are described, as well as methods of data presentation. The course also discusses the implementation of quality and safety programs at an organisational level.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define quality in health care, identify customers of health care, discuss views and major philosophies of quality theorists, describe the application of quality principles in health care, define Clinical Governance.
2. Describe a model to assess health care services, identify quality, safety and cost issues in the delivery of health care, discuss the nature of variation in processes, describe elements of the Quality Cycle.
3. Describe the importance of data to improve quality and safety, compare the value of approaches to assess quality and safety in various health care settings and determine the impact of quality activities.
4. Recognise the importance of defining, analysing and improving processes in health care, describe quality improvement tools and techniques commonly used in the health care setting and determine their appropriate applications.
5. Describe the effect of organisational culture on quality improvement activities, describe the role of groups or quality teams in undertaking quality activities, describe the role of Clinical Governance in measuring and improving organisational safety and quality.
Course content includes learning modules covering:
- Definitions and principles of quality in health care
- Assessing and measuring quality
- Techniques and tools for measuring quality
- Organisational change to achieve quality improvement
Written Assignment: Written Assignments
Quiz: Online Quizzes
Participation: Online Discussions
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Contact hours are an indication only.