Personal Development and Health Issues in the Primary School
|Course code PUBH2300||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Medicine and Public Health|
This course aims to extend students' knowledge and skills in selected areas of the K-6 Personal Development and Health syllabus and New Australian Curriculum HPE. In particular this course will explore personal development and health concepts that are contained in the PDHPE syllabus strands of Interpersonal Relationships, Growth and Development, Personal Health Choices and Safe Living (Mental Health and Wellbeing, Relationships and Sexuality, and Safety contexts for health in the New Australian Curriculum HPE). There will be an emphasis on teaching sensitive issues such as sexuality, emotional and mental health, child protection, grief and loss.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On satisfactory completion of this course, students should be able to:|
• Describe and apply principles of, and strategies for teaching Personal Development and dealing with sensitive issues in relation to sexuality and social, emotional, and mental health;
• Demonstrate teaching skills and effectively use relevant teaching resources for teaching about personal development topics;
• Analyse their own experiences, attitudes and values which may affect their teaching of key strands of the syllabus; and
• Demonstrate knowledge of the concepts and processes involved with sexuality, mental health issues for children, child protection, and grief and loss (personal development topics in the NSW K-6 Personal Development, Health and Physical Education syllabus and New Australian Curriculum HPE).
• Describe a range of teaching, whole school and wider community strategies that will enhance the health and wellbeing of children.
|Content||Principles for teaching sensitive issues in primary schools |
Module 1: Sexuality in Perspective
Module 2: Emotional, Social and Mental Health
|Assumed Knowledge||Foundation Studies in K-6 PDHPE|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for PUBH2300|